This Week, Worked Out

by snackface on July 7, 2011 · 31 comments

Dudes and dudettes. I have no idea what’s gotten into me, but I’ve been more active than ever lately.

Here’s a little breakdown (I just wrote breakfast) of what this week, worked out, has been like!

Sunday, July 3: Approximately 5 mile walk/run followed by casual swimming.

Monday, July 4: Approximately 5 mile walk/run followed by casual swimming.

Tuesday, July 5: 4.2 miles of intervals on the elliptical. Two minutes at incline 4, resistance 4. Two minutes at incline 10, resistance 10. Repeated while reading a magazine and listening to Waka Flocka.

Wednesday, July 6:

• 25 modified push-ups
  • 25 dips
  • 25 sit-ups
  • 25 reverse fly with 5 lb. weights
  • 25 squats (hold yoga block between legs for added challenge)

Complete series four times. (Routine given to me by MJ, our personal trainer at work!)

Thursday, July 7: 136 miles of driving, sitting on my bootay, singing my heart out. One of the best workouts, really.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday (July 8, 9, 10): Hoping to get in at least one walk/run while away on a trip!

My relationship with exercise is ever-evolving. Some weeks I think it’s unnecessary. Others, I can’t get enough. Most often, two or three days of exercise is plenty. What’s key is accepting whatever mood you’re in. Truly accepting it. Guilt and exercise should never be associated, especially when one believes she hasn’t done “enough” of it when maybe she has. Something is better than nothing, and sometimes, nothing is better than anything.

Questions:

• What’s your relationship with exercise like? Non-existent? Ever-evolving? Love it? Hate it? Overboard?
  • What would you like your relationship with exercise to be?

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I am the saaaame way. When I’m training for an event however, like a half marathon, slacking takes its toll. Thank god for summahhhh!

2 Jamie@cupcakedynamite July 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I love my relationship with exercise! I seriously crave it and I feel like going to the gym is more so a hobby than anything else. It gets me moving after sitting and writing for work all day. If I miss a day- I don’t really care. As long as I get in 4-5 days a week I feel good.

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

TOTALLY love your mentality on working out. Some weeks I am way more hardcore than others – some weeks I could really do nothing and be just fine!!

4 Camilla July 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Great post!! When I read “136 mi. of driving” I thought it said DIVING and I was sooooo confused! I thought ” diving in the pool?” and then “how do you measure diving?!” Haha, I need to work on my reading skils!

5 Camilla July 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Oops! And my typing skills… skils=skills :D

6 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I love exercise! I didn’t use to, but now that I approach it with a better mindset, I really enjoy it

7 VeggieGirl July 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I’m less obsessive now. I dance for 2 hours everyday, but it’s fun and I don’t overdo it. I still have hard times with rest periods though.

8 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Go you! I loooove working out (most of the time) for those dang endorphins!!! There are very few things in this world (that are legal and/or blog appropriate) that give you that high!

9 Julia July 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I have been crazy active lately as well. I blame the stress of MCAT in less than a month!

10 Cait @ Urban Fencepost July 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm

My relationship with exercise it like any other relationship I’ve been in – I love exercise, but sometimes I just need some space.

11 Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) July 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm

My relationship w/ exercise is constantly evolving as well. Yesterday I worked out as soon as I got home from work and I found that it gave me so much energy! I was so pumped and excited, and vowed to go again today. However, when I got home I just wasn’t feelin it. No big. Maybe tomorrow!

12 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill July 7, 2011 at 8:46 pm

My workouts are absolutely ever-evolving! Just like everything else in life, I have my ups and downs. Some weeks I can’t wait to try a new form of exercise and the next week all I want to do is walk from the kitchen to the sofa.

13 Rebecca July 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I really, actually, most often HATE exercise. But, I am simultaneously convinced that if I break up with exercise, my life will implode. Dysfunctional, to say the least.

I’m in need of a mental overhaul, and this post reminded me of that. I’ve been tracking exercise rather obsessively lately. Today, I felt guilty because I “only” did Level 3 of Jillian Michaels’ _Ripped in 30_. This workout kicks my ass, but I still feel like I “need” to do something else, or god only knows what will happen to my body.

Ugh. How ridiculous I am. My mission is to get rid of this guilt, and maybe, just maybe have exercise become enjoyable again.

14 Sara K July 7, 2011 at 9:12 pm

My relationship with exercise is completely sporadic. I’ll have some weeks (usually while I’m busy working/in school) when I’ll be on top of my game- gymmin’ it every day and having a schedule and other weeks (which is most of the time) where exercise consists of walking to the mailbox and up my driveway. Ideally, I would like to get into an exercise routine…have several days a week of yoga, have a changing cardio/calisthenics/weight training routine and perhaps get in some weekly tennis.

15 Emily July 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm

For the past month or so, my relationship with exercise has been nonexistent. I’m active enough but don’t work out. Interestingly, I’m starting to feel a lot more comfortable with my body. I imagine this is more from getting out of the ‘must work out, am fat’ mindset than actually stopping exercising though.

16 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair July 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Great tip about the yoga block!

Can’t wait to try that out. :)

17 Pure2raw twins July 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I go through periods too where I am all about working out, sometimes I do two small workouts. But I never workout more than an hour, mainly because if time, but also love shorter more intense workouts. They just work for my body and schedule. Although just got back in town from being in the FL keys for vacation and did not really workout much, and trying to get back into it.

18 Hillary July 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Ever-evolving, me thinks. I used to be obsessive, to the point of unhealthy. I would work out for 2-3 hours a day and still not feel like it was enough. Now, I generally like to work out 5-6 days a week (and work out can range from a stroll in the ‘hood to a five mile run + weights session), not because I feel I should, but because I like the way I feel when I DO. I’m a lot easier on myself now than I used to be, and I’m getting used to cutting myself some slack and listening to what my body is telling me. It’s a good evolution, me thinks!

19 Hillary July 7, 2011 at 9:25 pm

PS. I can’t believe I just said “me thinks” twice in that comment. Forgive me, please.

20 Jess @ atasteofconfidence July 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I am finally okay with my relationship with exercise. I move 5-6 times a week, but a lot of the time it’s biking and fun things. I don’t feel pressured and I truly enjoy it!

21 Evan July 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Mine is totally ever-evolving, too. I had a week like yours last week, but this week, I’ve worked out exactly twice, and it’s probably going to stay that way until Sunday. It’s taken me a while to be accepting of the not-feeling-the-sweat kind of weeks, but I’m there now. Next week, I’ll probably feel different, you know?

Tomorrow, my workout will be a marathon of margaritas and dancing with girlfranns in New York City…it’s right up there with car singing in terms of awesomeness!

22 kaila @ healthy helper! July 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Ever evolving. I recently took a whole week off from exercise to reevaluate my relationship with it. It was honestly the best decision I ever made. I had been comparing myself with others and really starting to not enjoy my workouts….so I took the week off, have been exercising veeeeeery casually now, and I couldn’t be happier!

23 Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run July 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Exercise is my best friend these days. I’ve lost 50 pounds since two summers ago, I have a little more to go, but most recently, I’ve been training for a half marathon and doing Body For Life. I can’t get enough.

What I WOULD like to have is a more intense relationship with the exercise known as yoga. Haha.

24 Shelley July 8, 2011 at 1:23 am

I just wrote a post about this!!! Exercise has definitely been an evolving and complex relationship for me..but i think i’m finally getting the hang of having a healthy relationship with it

25 Marina July 8, 2011 at 2:38 am

It took me a while to realize and admit to myself that exercising 2 or 3 times a week is plenty, and that if I don’t bust my ass off 5 times a week, I won’t be all flabby and ugly. Running 2, maybe 3 times a week is quite enough for my body, specially after two years of torture and not enough food. I know some people just thrive on working out 6 times a week, but I think my legs would fall off :)) It’s always nice to be reminded of this fact, so thank you for writing such an awesome post :)

26 Katie July 8, 2011 at 8:55 am

I love this post! I’m actually currently burned out on the gym and formal workouts, and really just want to do the bare minimum these days to keep my heart rate up. That usually means going for a 30 minute daily walk, and doing a couple sit-ups while watching tv. Sometimes I’ll also lift a weight or two, and you know what’s funny? I feel better and have more energy now that I don’t really *think* about diet and exercise. When it becomes my life, I get tired. Funny how that happens.

27 PB&Jenny July 8, 2011 at 9:26 am

as of late my workouts have consisted of stirring new jars of PB and walking to the bathrooms. Initially all of the down time caused anxiety up for the wazoo but recently I’ve been loving it. There’s so much living to be done when you’re not killing yourself in the gym all day errrryday. It sounds like you’ve achieved such a perfect degree of balance (perfect balance? for some reason that seems slightly oxymoronic to me. Shouldn’t balance be the happy marriage between perfection and imperfection? I digress). What I’m trying to say is, you rock Snacky, you really really do.

28 R. Chandra July 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm

haha wow i am kind of in love with this: “Something is better than nothing, and sometimes, nothing is better than anything.”

awesome, kailey!

29 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 8, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I’m not a fan of exercise while I’m doing it, but I love what it does for me after. I try to find activities that get me a good workout and are also a lot of fun so that I’m not thinking about how miserable I am. :)

30 Liza July 9, 2011 at 7:33 am

For too long my relationship with exercise has always been associated with guilt (which my come from my former high-strung Type A attitude), but now I’m learning to be more loving and caring towards my body – thanks to your blog, bursting with positivity and encouragement. “Sometimes nothing is better than anything.” <3

31 Christine July 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I can totally relate to exercise lately! I am working as a camp counselor this summer and it has definitely taken a toll on my energy levels when it comes to wanting to go to the gym or run outside. I struggle a lot with guilt and I try so hard to remind myself that I rather live an active lifestyle then force myself into a rigid workout schedule that I dread. I just don’t think thats natural for our bodies…Like you, sometimes I am feeling an intense sweat session, other times a calming yoga class, and more often more recently sitting on my butt at home :) I think its important to truly listen to our bodies rather than work against it. Thats why I love reading your blog because you do an amazing job at listening to what your body wants and needs and its a great reminder for me to do the same! Thank youu