The Friday Five

by snackface on August 5, 2011 · 40 comments

Happy Friday, kittens! We’ve powered through another week, and if you’re feeling the same way I’m feeling, you’re more than ready for the weekend. Bring it. Sleeping more than 5 or 6 hours a night would be a dream!

On this fine Friday morning, I’d like to share five things from the week that I didn’t manage to find a home for in other blog posts. A classic case of so much to share, so little time to share it.

1. Eating more protein has led to some fugly meals.

See what I mean?

I’ve had scrambled eggs with Kolby-Jack and salsa several times this week, but it photographs terribly. It’s so delicious! I always follow it up with eating carbs. So far it’s been tortilla chips and a pb+j. Aren’t eggs supposed to be filling? They can’t fly solo for me.

2. Last night at yoga, as we were beginning our practice, I noticed extra straps over my shoulders. I had forgotten to take off my real bra that was still layered under my sports bra! Because I was talking to someone while I was changing, it’s not as though I was going to also introduce Frick and Frack, ya know?

Having just washed my bra and really not wanting to downward dog-away the power of my underwired bra, I sprinted to a private area of the gym, stashed my bra in the personal trainer’s cabinet (I was at our work gym and our personal trainer MJ was right there) and sprinted back to my mat. Thankfully, I was met with giggles from my coworkers.

Afterward, I went to fetch my bra and someone we’ll call E (female) said, “Oh my god! Do your boobs really fit into that? That thing is huge!” She then proceeded to hold it over her own chest, showing me that it is, in fact, on the larger size. Humiliated (not really, I’m just playing this up for drama’s sake), I shoved my bra under my shirt and scurried to my gym bag at my desk to place it safely. And that’s that.

3. Speaking of my body, I think other parts of me are turning into a man.

Or just a strong woman.

This isn’t any kind of creepy “progress” picture (although it is creepy); it’s more of a “holy sh!t what is that?” picture. Perhaps the free weights, personal training sessions, yoga and boot camp classes are doing something. Now where oh where are the six-pack abs? I’ll take two, even.

4. On Monday, I booked a flight to NYC! In the very near future, I’ll be traipsing about town with my best friend Muffin! There will be birthday celebrations, shopping adventures and maybe even a fashion event or two! Muffin and I haven’t spent quality time together in months, and I haven’t been to the city in over a year! It’s definitely time. I am PUMPED.

5. At one point in the past week or two, I wore this:

Welcome to the backyard.

MamaJ gifted that skirt to me in high school. It’s from a store that was very…not me. It’s taken me years to find a way to wear it, and of course, a simple tee was all it took. The backyard really helps, too.

I hope you all had a fabulous week— have even fabulous-er weekends! Love ya and thank you for a fun week on SnackFace!

Questions:

• Embarrassing stories: Have any to share from the week?
  • Clothing: Are there some pieces in your closet you’re still trying to figure out how to wear?
  • Weekend: Any fantastic plans? DM is visiting! EEEE!!!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 5, 2011 at 7:48 am

Yikes! I would have been humiliated too – but in my case, someone would have held up my bra and asked me if I was an eleven year old pre-teen. True story. :)

2 Emily August 5, 2011 at 8:03 am

That meal actually looks pretty tasty to me! Might have to make some scrambled eggs now.

I have quite a few things in my wardrobe that I can’t bear to get rid of but don’t know if I’m ever going to wear them. I’m trying to be ruthless and either learn to love these clothes or throw them out by the end of the year. That skirt is gorgeous though, I’m glad you found a way to wear it!

Embarassing moment: Earlier in the week I thought I saw my grandma in the supermarket, but when I got close to her I realised it wasn’t her, and by this point I was stood right next to her and staring in her face. Awkwaaaard.

I’m working and packing this weekend so the main things I’m looking forward to are finishing my book and making soup. I’m such a wild child ;)

3 kaila@ healthy helper blog! August 5, 2011 at 8:04 am

Definitely not a man….strong woman all the way! Love your muscles girl!!!!

That skirt is so cute!!

4 Jen August 5, 2011 at 8:05 am

DAYUM GIRL! Check out those guns! Keep up the hard work!

5 snackface August 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

Jen- Hahaha thank you! Gettin’ swoll!

6 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) August 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

OMG YOU ARE JACKED!! love that muscle!!! ive been upping my protein too!! eggs !

7 Mackenzie @ Whatever, Gatsby August 5, 2011 at 8:11 am

“Because I was talking to someone while I was changing, it’s not as though I was going to also introduce Frick and Frack, ya know?”

i nearly just spat out my morning coffee from laughing. kails, if i may call you that, you are freaking hilarious.

8 snackface August 5, 2011 at 9:08 am

Mack- People call me Kailz all the time! It was my nickname in high school, too! I’m glad I could make ya laugh!

9 dani August 5, 2011 at 8:36 am

Dang girl, your arms look good

10 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 5, 2011 at 8:57 am

Your eggs look delicious, not fugly! I love salsa with eggs.

11 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign August 5, 2011 at 8:59 am

Cute skirt! I always struggle with knowing when it’s okay to tuck in my shirts. I’m petite and have a really short torso so I’m not sure if it looks ridiculous on my body type or what…lol

12 snackface August 5, 2011 at 9:07 am

Laura! If I were you, I wouldn’t be afraid to tuck in shirts. You’re petite, which also means you can get away with a lot of different styles! If anything it will make your waste look tiny and your legs look longer! However, I rarely like a dropped waist, so maybe I’m biased?

13 Hillary August 5, 2011 at 9:54 am

I agree! I’m tiny (5’2) and finally realized that tucking my shirts into my skirts actually makes me look thinner AND taller! Win-win!

14 Sara K August 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Those are some strong beautifulll muscles! I have a lot of clothes I’m still figuring out how to wear…random things I bought for no reasons (I have this top/tunic thing that could be long enough to be a dress or not…so it’s debating what it looks better as andhow)
Weekend plans: It’s my birthdayyyyy :) So that and food adventuring with some peeps

15 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 5, 2011 at 9:31 am

I definitely have some pieces in my closet that I cannot figure out what to do with – belt? no belt? just give up and give it away?

This weekend I’m thinking fun in the sun with friends, drinks, food. A street fest or two. Have a great weekend, girly!

16 Stephanie @ StephSnacks August 5, 2011 at 9:52 am

OOOH NYC! You’ll love my city! I work here and am moving here, soon :)

17 Bee @ B*tchy Bee August 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

haha, perfect timing for this post. yesterday i got to yoga, i drop my mat/towel in the room first, then go to change out of my work clothes. I got out of my work clothes, get my sports bra/top on and then…UHHH…where are my pants??? I was dumbfounded. I couldn’t do bikram yoga in long trousers. Frick! So i threw my work pants back on and was going to urn out to my car and frantically look in there hoping they had just fallen out of my gym bag. Much to my happy surprise, they were tangled up in my towel. PHEW. But the no pants scare was not cool! Pants = winning.

18 Tropical Eats August 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

NYC!!!

ahhhh definitely need to organize a nyc blogger meetup wichuuu. :)

19 debbie August 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

lmao to the bra story – totally something I would do! Have fun in NYC!

20 Lola August 5, 2011 at 10:56 am

Rock those muscles girl!!! That was kind of funny because the other day I was in a bathroom at Walgreens the other day and flexed my arm and was surprised as my muscles too and took a pic, of course hahaha
Have an awesome weekend Kailz! ;)
xoxo
Lola

21 the delicate place August 5, 2011 at 10:56 am

i LOVE the coral knee length dress! i’m a sucker for anything ultra fem/vintage. thoughts on uncle karl’s line for macys? i’ve been beasting it lately too with bodyrock and kickboxing myself into a corner. i always get someone who kicks really hard and then i have bruises on my body in odd spots?!

22 snackface August 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm

tdp- Thank you! Uncle Karl’s line: I’m STOKED to see it in person. Until I see, touch, feel, try it on, though, I can’t be a good judge. I remember being so excited about Lanvin for H+M and then when I felt one of the pieces, I was immediately turned off by it. There are some pieces in Karl’s Macy line that I would love for work…and OK I’d <3 a tee with his silhouette on it! Definitely going to have to see it in person first! (P.S. The models in the collection online are so teeny that I don't know what the clothes would look like on a curvier woman!)

23 Anna August 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I’ve actually taken the time this summer to clean out everything in my closet that just isn’t ‘me’. I’m trying to simplify my life for moving purposes and to get rid of clutter, and when I wear something I’m not in love with I’m just not comfortable. I do enjoy the challenge of trying to wear something a little different, but right now I’d rather focus my attention on finding someone to employ me. that look with your skirt is very cute!

24 Rachel August 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

you always dress so pretty! and i should bring up -because you’ve mentioned the gap a few days ago- i scored 2 pairs of denim leggings for 20$…together. and i was so excited that they fit good that i literally almost came out of the dressing room without pants on but i stopped myself before i opened the door

in 3rd grade i had a moment that involved me and some passing gas. thankfully 3rd grade was over a decade ago so no one remembers.

25 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 5, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Ahahahah no embarrassing moments, except maybe last night at a concert when I successfully crowd-surfed. Excuse me, proud moment, not embarrassing. ;)

Girl I do NOT have that problem..they would probably as me if I were 12 years old. Kid you not.

26 Sana August 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Have a blasty in NYC!

27 Pure2raw twins August 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm

eggs alone do not feel me up either, I try to have them with veggies, or on top of my salad ;)

love the muscle shot! you are a strong beautiful lady, be proud

no big plans this weekend, do have a lot of work to do…I am boring haha

Michelle

28 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I am dying at “frick and frack” LOL
Always a pleasure reading your posts!

29 Nicole August 6, 2011 at 12:05 am

I love that skirt!!! It’s very 50s house-wifeishh? but in a good way!

30 Emily August 6, 2011 at 12:15 am

I have a GREAT embarrassing story for the week!! On Thursday morning I witnessed the most beautiful sun rise. Seriously spectacular. It’s on my blog if you don’t believe it : ) Okay so I felt the need to take a picture and as I was walking back to my apartment I decided to e-mail the pic to my mom. Totally walked into a poll. Not a brush against the arm. No, like squarely in the nose. Good thing it was 6:30 am and not TOO many cars were around.

31 Leanne August 6, 2011 at 5:01 am

“I shoved my bra under my shirt and scurried to my gym bag at my desk to place it safely.” — Okay, I may have giggled at this. Only because it’s cute lol.

RE: strong woman pic — holymoly girrrl! Look at you! That’s pretty damn awesome! Woooork it.

32 Freya August 6, 2011 at 4:24 pm

LOL I don’t know how to wear most of my closet! It’s shameful really, I’m a fake girl. :/
When are you going to NYC!? I’m going this month too :D

33 Karen @ She Flies With Her Own Wings August 6, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Hahaha…I’ve seen that exact same thing happen with the bra, except at swim practice. One of my friends was so distracted when she was changing into her swimsuit, that she left her bra on under the swimsuit. She noticed it right before she was about to dive into the pool. Hilarious!

I’ve also been trying to eat more protein, I agree that protein-filled meals aren’t always camera-friendly! Unless you spend a lot of time garnishing with cute little sliced veggies and herbs. But who has time for that?!

34 Jack August 7, 2011 at 9:35 am

Call me weird, but the eggs with salsa didn’t look fugly to me! It looks good. That’s colby jack with it, right? Anything else?

35 snackface August 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Jack- Yep, colby jack! And I made the eggs in a little extra virgin olive oil and butter– that’s it!

36 lisa August 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm

oh im the same with eggs- I dont get it. there full of protein, but If I dont have like an english muffin or something with it, im still HUNGRY! thats with almost all protein foods with me. shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt. doesnt make any sense!!! it must be my carb-aholic brain. hahah

and YAY NYC!!! love the city! wish you were going during the school year I would have loved to have done a blogger meet up! =]

37 megan August 7, 2011 at 11:28 pm

embarrassing story: i work w undocumented youth and speak spanish during the majority of my day since a lot of the kids are from central or south america. my spanish is a little rusty and i accidentally told one of the youth to wash her hands w soup, instead of soap. nothing like a five year old putting you in your place :)

38 Ugly Duckling August 11, 2011 at 5:15 am

I thought I’d left a comment the other day when I read this post but looks like it hasnt posted :(

Anyway, I basically said… You’re so right about protein, everyone says it should fill you up but sadly it just does not!

Then I said…You seem like you may be a clothes hoarder. I know this because I speak from experience. It totally pays off though.
I have some vintage raybans in gold metal. I also have a pair of vintage dior oversized sunglasses. Everyone asks where theyre from. Answer ~ My mums 80s wardrobe. I hated both when I first got given them by my mum. I wouldn’t give either up now, money can’t buy them.

I have a tonne of other cool items, skirts, bags and shirts. Basically I LOVE being a clothes hoarder.

Amelia
iwasanuglyduckling.blogspot.com

ps:I also love reading your blog. Lets hope u get this comment this time.

39 snackface August 11, 2011 at 6:46 am

UG- Ahh! Sorry about the commend What probably happened is that it’s in the Spam folder. I have no idea why that happens to some comments, but it does. I AM a total clothes hoarder. It’s terrible! I have tons of t-shirts that I keep because I think, “Maybe I’ll have a project someday that requires a tee like this,” or, “No! I can’t get rid of this! It has sentimental value!” I need to just throw them out/recycle/donate!