Love, Food, Wine

by snackface on August 8, 2011 · 39 comments

Hello, sweet thangs! I missed you! How were your weekends? Marvelous? Marvelous.

Mine was just peachy. It was a weekend full of love.

DM and I kicked off the weekend with a stunning meal on Friday night. The experience was so delightful that I’m going to dedicate a whole post to it later this week. I’ve finally found a heavenly, organic, local-focused restaurant near my casa!

Saturday morn, DM woke me up at 7:00 a.m. Some people do not understand how important it is to sleep in, which is why I didn’t remove myself from bed until 8:40 a.m. I then made MamaJ and DM waffles, and fixed a gross-to-others cottage cheese, banana and cereal breakfast for myself. We watched a BMW special on MSNBC as we ate. It was a very cultural morning.

Afterward, DM and I went for a 4.2 mile run/walk in the sunshine. This has become somewhat of a ritual whenever my mang visits. I love going on these walks because it’s just us and the road. Conversation runs from our running cramps to our dream houses. It’s magical every time.

Run complete, DM and I pooled for a while and then showered and dressed for an afternoon of shopping. I had a blast shopping for my auction winner! Hailey, your goods will be shipped out to you ASAP!

DM and I stopped for a snack before the serious shopping began.

And we were off! Spending money I shouldn’t! Buying a REAL strapless bra because I just couldn’t tuck the straps in any longer! Running around in a flowy, next-to-nothing dress!

Dress: Puella from Anthro. Sunnies: JC Penney's. Necklace: H+M. Bag: MamaJ's closet. Sandals: Xhileration at Target.

Hours of shopping later, DM and I rushed home to get ready for the night’s big event:

Popsicle + MamaJ’s 25th wedding anniversary dinner!

I really cannot express how grateful and blessed I am to have this exquisite example of love in my life. I love my parents to bits, and I admire their commitment to each other.

We celebrated at our neighborhood Bravo, the place we celebrate everything from birthdays to, well, anniversaries.

Look at these cuties! Popsicle with his new watch and MamaJ in her blinged-out tank. Love them!

We all had a supremely delicious, laughter-filled, heartfelt evening. With the emphasis on delicious. (Kidding! Love was really the night’s theme!)

Hideodorous gazpacho that was fab.

Popsicle's caesar salad with anchovies. (Squirm!)

Shrimp with a Christmas tree.

Cooked spinach will always give me the heebie jeebies, but the shrimp was succulent and the grain mixture had wheat berries in it, a welcome surprise. Plus, chickpeas make any dish golden.

With dinner dominating our bellies, we trotted across the parking lot to another restaurant’s bar…where I had my first Strongbow. It just so happened to be karaoke night, too. MamaJ peer pressured me into singing. It was worth it. I sang a song my mother wanted to sing to my father, but was too afraid she’d cry while singing. The H-Unit is so cheesy and wonderful and lovey!

I crashed into bed as soon as we got home. Three drinks and I’m done these days!

DM and I welcomed Sunday with hours upon hours of Mad Men. We finished the fourth season, which means I’m rewatching every single episode from the very start now. Seasons one through four better tide me over until season five’s debut in 2012. I’ve made DM an addict, too.

We snacked on mini croissants and jam while we waited for MamaJ’s masterpiece to finish baking. It was well worth the wait.

Broccoli, cheddar and tomato quiche!

Tired of sitting on our duffs all morning, my mang and I hit up the streets for another run/walk. This time, it was much more walking than running. We pushed it to 5.4 miles, though! And afterward, we snacked and pooled for an hour or so.

A word to the wise: a bottle of wine after a 5.4 mile run/walk is not a good idea. Especially when you haven’t consumed much water.

The party continued into dinner.

Caesar salad, grilled buttery shrimp, corn on the cob.

Like a baby, I fell asleep with a full tummy. And a boozy head. But that’s not like a baby. I hope.

As I reflect upon my weekend, I am made more aware of what it has shown me:

• Love. Forever and ever.
  • Food. Only eat the great stuff.
  • Wine. Two glasses tops.

We are constantly growing and learning. Above all, though, we must constantly love. To witness it every day is a blessing.

Question:

What are your wise words/words to live by on the following: love, food, wine?

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I love your wise words. My wise words about wine: Always make sure you have food in your stomach before starting a wine flight. Otherwise, be prepared to see some interesting pictures the next day. Just sayin’…

2 VeggieGirl August 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Love, food, and wine = enjoy all in moderation ;)

3 Sara K August 8, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I am lovin’ all that shrimpy action! Friday night was my birthday and my family and I went out for perhaps one of the best meals of my entire life (think avocado bruschetta, loads of succulent mesquite grilled shrimp, and amazing in-house made pasta dishes with local produce).
Love: Surround yourself with those you love
Food: Have what you crave in the best quality. Savour and love
Wine: A glass to bring the zing :)

4 kaila @ healthyhelper August 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Love the moral of the story at the end there….I agree with all three points!!! And continuing on the love theme….I LOVE THAT DRESS! That is muh color! It just screams SUMMER!

5 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 8, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I freaking LOVE quiche. And that purse!!!! Danggg girl!!

Love: Everyone you meet. You never know if they’ll change your life. <3
Food: Only eat the tasty stuff — in my world, healthy usually = tasty.
Wine: Drink lots of it. Be classy about it if possible.

6 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 8, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I love your pink dress! Very cute

7 Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters August 8, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Girl I just finished Mad Men too… I watched Netflix like crazy this past week. I CAN’T WAIT for Season 5… ahhh

8 Sana August 8, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I love that dress!!!! And congrats to your parents!

9 debbie August 9, 2011 at 12:10 am

aww, happy anniversary to your parents! You are so lucky to have had such a great example of love in your life. I wish I would’ve had that!

and isn’t working out with your boy the best?

10 Lauren @ TheRawCure August 9, 2011 at 12:12 am

Love – a word that should not be used casually, so that when its time arrives it carries the appropriate weight.
Food – should be able to wilt, wither or rot in the near future.
Wine – the most meaningful beverage that should touch your lips at the vibrant age of twenty-one.

11 Rebecca August 9, 2011 at 12:18 am

why no waffles for you?? :(

12 snackface August 9, 2011 at 9:01 am

Rebecca- I just wasn’t feeling ‘em! Which is rather unlike me. I simply didn’t want them that morning!

13 Jamie @ snacktress August 9, 2011 at 12:19 am

Your parents look fabulous. And Strongbow was my drank of choice when I studied in London! Until a very unfortunate incident in a tube station…hint: I threw up all over myself and my friend had to carry me back to our flat. Woopz. I JUST started Mad Men on Netflix and have been watching non-stop.

Love: is all around. Stupid but true.
Food: is not an enemy or a friend. Eat what you love.
Wine: Rose, please. And watch the Asian flush come over me like THAT.

14 Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) August 9, 2011 at 12:31 am

Sounds like a great weekend. Congratulations to your parents and to you for having such wonderful role models in your life! All I can say about love, food, and wine is that it is wonderful and meant to be shared among people :) Enjoy your night!

15 Elizabeth August 9, 2011 at 1:05 am

Food and love…some of the best things in life. lol!
The shrimp look delicious.
And that quiche looks scrumptious!

16 Janiek August 9, 2011 at 4:52 am

I love that dress!

17 Bee @ B*tchy Bee August 9, 2011 at 8:10 am

I totally want to steal that dress! Looks a fabulous weekend!

18 Katie August 9, 2011 at 8:18 am

Love: Everything and everyone.
Food: Experiment, try new things, love ALL different flavors.
Wine. Best enjoyed amongst loving company. And at a Bistro in Paris. ;)

19 Madeline - Greens and Jeans August 9, 2011 at 8:30 am

You just have to love love! Congratulations to your parents!

20 Emily {What Emily Did Next} August 9, 2011 at 8:33 am

Love: is a wonderful thing, but does not conquer all.
Food: is not the enemy.
Wine: makes my cheeks go red.

I love your pink dress.

Also yay for Strongbow! Brings back fond memories of my first year at uni :)

21 Faith @ lovelyascharged August 9, 2011 at 9:10 am

L- You know you’re in love when just hearing the person’s voice can make you forget about how crappy the day was.
F- Don’t waste calories on something that doesn’t excite you
W- BRING IT ON.

22 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

Love – the most important thing in the world to me, which can be shared with great food & wine! :) Love your positive outlook, looks like you’re in such a great place with your relationship and your family.

23 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

1. I want your mama’s blinged out tank.
2. I REALLY want that quiche.
3. that dress looks SO comfy. you’re a smartypants. ;)

24 Evan August 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

Love, food, and wine? My favorite things! It seems like you had a wonderful weekend – reading this post made me a) happy and b) PUMPED for Friday already. I’d call it a success.

love is work. It makes you feel alive and see the beauty in the world, but you need to work at it to make it last. The work is worth it, though. Also – it’s not a 50/50 thing; it’s 100/100. You have to give your all and your best self to someone that you love.

food should be a pleasure, not a punishment. Bottom line.

And wine? A bottle = 1 serving size :)

Congratulations to your parents!! They’re so adorable – and yes, you’re really lucky to have such an example of love in your life. Mine just rang in their 30 year in May!

25 Hannah August 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

loooove love love your dress. i want it badly.
sounds like a great weekend!

26 Anna August 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

love: is very complicated, especially on Mad Men. I just started watching it and have been sucked in by Don’s love quadrangles, Betty’s dinner outfits, and all of the classy cocktails.

food: is meant to be enjoyed, but not obsessed about. it should enhance, not limit, your life, health, and relationships.

wine: is sometimes very necessary, but be careful if you’re drinking anything red or cheap. a headache can totally nullify any happy wine buzz.

27 Hannah August 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

REALLY excited to see what the new restaurant is called…my bf’s mom lives in your area and I want to try it next time I’m there!

28 Lola August 9, 2011 at 11:49 am

What a wonderful weekend ! :D mine was awesome as well: Lollapalooza, family gathering, deep dish pizza and karaoke night. What more can i ask for?
Love = all you need is love ;)
Food = everything in moderation, except for beef xD
Wine = only the GOOD stuff!

Have a kick ass week Kailey!
xoxo
Lola

29 Emilia August 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Looks like a fun weekend, that maxi dress looks amazing on you!

For me: love = happiness in your life; food = enjoy it with people you care about; and wine = the cheap stuff will give you a bad hangover

30 Stephanie August 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

That pink dress is gorgeous on you! It fits you perfectly.

31 snackface August 9, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Thanks bunches, Stephanie!

32 Ellie August 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Cute that the dress is called “Puella.” It has a real Roman look to it and ‘puella’ is ‘girl’ in Latin.

33 snackface August 9, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Ellie- I had no idea! That’s fascinating!

34 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Love that dress on you, Kailey! The color is gorgeous:)

35 snackface August 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Thank you, Paige!

36 Hillary August 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm

1. I was eating a cottage cheese/apple/cereal breakfast this morning, and my friend turned to me and said, “I have to tell you: that looks absolutely awful.” So glad I’m not the only one who likes food that others find cringe-worthy.

2. I can’t get enough Mad Men in my life right now.

3. Love: might not be all you need, but it’s damn close.
Food: eat what makes you feel good.
Wine: red or white, doesn’t matter. It’s all good.

37 Emily August 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm

You are your dad and Matty Rich is yo Mama!! Too cute!

I’ve only finished season one of Mad Men…love love love it, but I’m too poor to buy season 2 and all the libraries are out! horrific and a tragic life, I know

38 jenna August 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

i needa visit that bravo restaurant with youuu!

39 Nicole August 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm