Late-Night SnackFace

by snackface on February 1, 2012 · 34 comments

After dinner is usually when I get my SnackFace on. In fact, that’s how this blog name originated. My mom and I were chillin’ after dinner when she announced that she had her SnackFace on and— surprise of all surprises— so did I! I’m pretty much always ready to eat.

While traveling the low-carb road, savory snacks have been no problem. Cheese, cottage cheese, turkey slices, more cheese. Easy. It’s the sweet stuff that trips me up. Wait, chocolate has carbs? WAIT, cereal does, too? Kidding.

But seriously. I need something at the end of every day to cap off my day of eating. Thanks to some very sweet readers, I’ve been noshing on Deb’s muffin. I MEAN, I have been enjoying her recipe for microwave muffin cake things. I’m calling them things because they still freak me out a little in that they can be made in the microwave.

I will be the first to call myself out on this: Whenever I see someone trying to eat a replica of a real thing, I roll my eyes and think, “They’re out of their muthafluffin’ mind.” I keep it inside most of the time. But like any good hypocrite, I have been schooled. It’s been broughten. (<Intentional grammatically poor reference.) The masses have been right and I have been so very wrong. Judgy Wudgy was a bear, and that bear was ME.

OK, you get it now. What I’m saying is that the following is not a cupcake or muffin…:But it is pretty damn good when you need something sweet and satisfying while working out like Chris Evans prepping for his Captain America role.

I deem this a French Toast Protein (Motha)Fluffin’:

Based off Deb’s smart recipe, here’s what goes into this fluffin’:

• 1 T coconut flour
  • 1 T Sun Warrior vanilla protein blend
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 packet Truvia
  • 2 egg whites (more like 1.5 but it’s hard…and ridiculous… to add half an egg white)
  • 1 1/2 T applesauce
Mix the ingredients together in a PAM-coated coffee mug. Microwave for 1:45-2 minutes. Top with cinnamon and maple syrup (you know I used the fake stuff…the one fake I really, really love).
A week from now, I’ll be straight late-night SnackFacing with peanut butter Cheerios, but for now, this works fabulously.
Question: What’s your favorite late-night snack?

1 Sara K February 1, 2012 at 12:35 am

That does look delicious; and I myself cannot go a single night without my post-dinner snack. For me, the most glorious snack is comprised of greek yoghurt, berries, and a hunk of Dave’s Killer bread Sindawg- it’s basically a grainy, fantastic cinnamon roll (http://www.daveskillerbread.com/killer-bread/sin-dawg.html) and makes me so happy to be a citizen of Portland

2 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy February 1, 2012 at 1:42 am

Those microwave protein muffins surprised me too. I always thought that there was just no way that a microwave “muffin” could taste good, but I was proven wrong. :)

3 Emily February 1, 2012 at 2:03 am

I’ve always been a little weirded out by the whole “microwave-muffin” craze. It just doesn’t seem like they would taste good. But, I guess I shouldn’t knock it before I’ve tried it!
My favorite late night snack is definitely cereal. Or a banana with nut butter. Mmm…

4 Jessica February 1, 2012 at 8:00 am

Looks delicious! Glad everything is going smoothly!

5 sarah February 1, 2012 at 9:06 am

Deb’s MOIST muffins, you mean?! Hrjedft bahahasdf. Apparently I am a 10 year old, but man. The word ‘moist’ just gets me every time.

6 aubrey (italktofood) February 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

I like cereal or a good ole dip in the nut butter jar!

7 Hillary February 1, 2012 at 9:31 am

I loooove those muffins. Truly. I make mine with cocoa powder and pumpkin. It’s good stuff.

I pour cereal into the PB jar and eat it with a spoon. I keep it classy, always.

8 Lauren February 1, 2012 at 9:39 am

Looks awesome! I’m a huge popcorn fan…it’s delish on the stovetop with nutritional yeast. I’ve been doing a low-carb diet, too, but let the popcorn slide since it’s so low-cal!

9 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

Ahh yum! definitely saving this so I can try it later :D

10 Cait @ Cait hates Cake February 1, 2012 at 9:53 am

I might have to try that. I’m having the same issues looking for high-protein sweet snacks at night. Last night I had plain greek yogurt mixed with chocolate pb2 plus just a few chocolate chips (some carbs are ok on the nutrition plan I’m following).

11 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie February 1, 2012 at 10:10 am

After trying The Wannabe Chef’s microwavable Paleo Mug Cake (http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/12/02/paleo-mug-cakes/) I’m totally sold on “faking” dessert. :)

12 Marcie February 1, 2012 at 10:18 am

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup almond flour or oat flour
1 cup creamy cashew butter, almond butter, or peanut butter
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup Date Honey
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon

My Favorite–eat 2 a night..

13 Tonya February 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

Any-tang w/green tea on the side. No, I’m not a 60 yr old woman. lol Small sweet and bite sized works for me.

14 Tonya February 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

15 Tonya February 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

Why did that post twice? Apparently I AM a 60 yr old woman just learning how to work the inter-webs. :-)

16 Olivia February 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

What is your fave fake syrup?!

17 SweatyGirl February 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

late night snacking is a definite no-no for me!
But I do love popcorn, i tried a new flavor of microwave popcorn – Salt & Vinegar.. soooooOooOo good!

18 fitpeanut February 1, 2012 at 11:33 am

Late night snack ? Dark chocolate !!

19 Paige @ RAN February 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Right now it’s a big bowl of white and dark chocolate covered popcorn. Is that a carb? ;)
It’s carby, sugary, and totally delicious, but not so good for the sleep cycles.

20 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm

my fav as of late is stirring cocoa powder and stevia into cottage cheese! i sometimes top it with nutbutter too since the combo of protein+fats is supposed to help our muscles repair overnight!

21 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola February 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Ohh late night snacking is a toughie! But I generally don’t eat dinner on weeknights until around 8 so I usually avoid this. My problem is on the weekend after I’ve had a few drinks… danger zone! But I love the microwave cakes! I’ve made a few now and always question why I don’t make them more often! This flavor looks great too!

22 deva at deva by definition February 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm

late-night snack? Graeter’s Brownie Sundae. When I cannot go to Graeter’s (because, who can go to Graeter’s every night?), I hit up my freezer for ice cream.

23 Jessica February 1, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Holla! SATC shout out: “Judgy Wudgy was a bear…” :)

Umm those cakes freak me out. I like omelets, but can’t handle the taste/texture of microwaved eggs….ya know?! I may try them out again someday soon….

My latest go-to: rice cakes with almond butter, banana and cinn! Like, lots of almond butter, banana and cinnamon.

24 Ashley February 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

An arse-load of dark chocolate chips.
Nightly.
Religiously.
Seriously.

25 Karen February 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm

This is funny because I’ve just gotten into the microwave protein mug cake thing too! I was also skeptical at first but have grown to love it (esp. sprinkled with some mini choco chips, plain yogurt, and light chocolate syrup).

Also, the comments were disabled on your posts earlier but I am the same height/size as you and I just wanted to say I totally agree with you that everyone has the right to want to tone up. Everyone is different and you have no need to justify wanting to optimize your health/fitness/looks/well-being. Good luck and can’t wait to hear about the fashion-y gig!!

26 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 2, 2012 at 2:04 am

Hi there! I’m so glad that you have been having success with the muffin. (thanks for the linkage btw) And dare I say that you improved on it? I’ve been wanting a ‘blond’ version of my chocolate muffin but hadn’t yet gotten into the kitchen to experiment. So thanks for perfecting that!

Ironically, my late night snack is often a greek yogurt mess or popcorn. The muffins I tend to nuke and grab with me for when I’m out and about. :-)

27 RunEatRepeat February 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I love those protein cakes in a mug! I totally add syrup or chocolate chips, which defeats the purpose but is 100% necessary.

28 Life's a Bowl February 2, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I’m thinking this might be tasty tonight for dessert but adding in some cocoa powder and making it a la mode ;P

29 Joss February 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I like naughty late night snacks..like popcorn or chips..anything salty

30 Samantha @ My Full Life February 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm

That muff looks delish! I’m all over that fake syrup as well. Wayyy too much sugar in the real thang to enjoy it :)

31 Maja February 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

can’t wait to hear all the details about your gig! and see some pics, too!

32 Chiro in Ohio February 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm

A pastry that doesn’t need baking?! That’s the stuff of dreams. I wonder if they are available at our local stores. Does it come in any other variant?

33 sarah February 21, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Those turkey muffins sounds delectable — how does one make these muffs?

34 snackface February 22, 2012 at 9:38 am

Sarah! It’s so incredibly easy. Find any meatloaf recipe that you enjoy, or even turkey burger that you enjoy, and bake them in a muffin tin. I used a hybrid of Jamie Eason’s recipe (here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm) and my imagination!