11 Things

by snackface on February 21, 2012 · 40 comments

FINALLY! Someone (and one of my favorite people/bloggers, at that!) finally tagged me in this game. Can we address that it’s named “11 Things” but people end up sharing 22 things about themselves? [I'm coming back to this graph after writing the entire post and you'll see that I'm wrong in this instance.]

First up, 11 random tidbits about yours truly:

1. I’m not crafty or homemaker-y in any way. Making elaborate posters, decorating t-shirts, making things (like any number of those quirky crafts on Pinterest), scrapbooking…anything like that, I simply don’t “get.” My mother is brilliant with arts and crafts, a quality I obviously did not adopt.

2. In 4th grade, a group of three girls and I performed daily routines at recess. We sang and danced to a mashup of Sugar Ray’s “Fly” and Aretha’s “Respect”— all arranged and choreographed by us. I believed that we magically would be “discovered” while on recess. As you can imagine, we were really, super popular. (Not.)

3. My number-one favorite food, as uncouth as it may be, is cereal. How un-gourmet of me! But I can’t help it. I would rather have a bowl of Cinnamon Cheerios/Chex/Toast Crunch than a real dinner.

4. I’m a bad sleeper. I’m terrible at it! I’d much rather be awake. I’m a night owl and an early bird. Some of this isn’t by choice, as I had my first bout of insomnia during the summer after 5th grade and it’s never completely gone away. It comes and goes. I don’t value sleep as much as I should.

5. When it comes to choosing between watching a t.v. show and watching a movie, I prever t.v. because episodes are shorter. If I’m watching a movie, I have to be fully invested, start to finish. With a show, it’s done in 20 to 40 minutes. Watching movies during the workweek also feels very bizarre to me. Not sure why.

6. Every three months or so, I have a new favorite expletive. Right now it’s “hoe.” Everyone’s a trifling hoe. Even my dogs. I fully recognize that I am the only one who thinks it’s hilarious. Yes, it’s riddled with degradation but I just think it’s a funny word.

7. I would take a grammar bootcamp and AP Style class once a year if I could. I love it. And I always need refreshers to help me stay on point. There are certain word nerd things we debate at work and never come to a conclusion. The debate usually pertains to commas or hyphens.

8. If ever you, reader, and I go out for dinner, it is highly likely you will say, “Well where would you like to eat?” I’ll say, “Oh, I don’t care! I’m open!” But what I end up doing is eliminating all options I don’t want until we land on the restaurant in which I wanted to dine initially but didn’t say. But that’s ONLY if we’re in Cincinnati. Elsewhere, I really am open!

9. Even though I love food and I love when others appreciate food, I cannot stand the sound of chewing. It’s so bad that I’ll send apology emails to the ladies who sit near me at work. Here’s one I sent last week:

“I would like to apologize to the two of you in case you’ve heard my disgusting chewing of this gigantic Fuji apple. Even I can’t stand the sound of my own chewing, so I apologize if this is also hellish for you.

The apple is really, really delicious, though.”

10. My first job was at the amusement park, Kings Island. I worked in a retail shop in the sweltering heat of summer. The moment a man pulled a $20 out of his sweaty socks, I knew it was time to move on.

11. The ultimate dream: be a magazine editor who also blogs, models, sings, acts and runs some sort of food or beauty company. Lofty, you say?

11 Questions Evan asked me (Oh wait! She asked nine!)

1. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done lately? Either being at the Superbowl with Maxim or chopping off my hair. But a haircut isn’t really crazy.

2. What is your favorite music genre and why? Jazz standards. My favorite album of all time is Ella Fitzgerald: The Jerome Kern Songbook. I’ve been listening to it since 10th grade. It always speaks to my soul.

3. If you could live in any big city, which would you choose? San Francisco. With places in NYC and Miami, too.

4. Cats or dogs? Dogs! 100 percent!

5. What do you do for a living? I’m currently a copywriter.

6. Which Backstreet Boy was your favorite and why? Same for N’Sync. I was significantly more into N’Sync than the Backstreet Boys, so Lance! Anyone blond, I preferred. Fave Spice Girl? Baby. Fave Powerpuff Girl? Bubbles.

7. If you were on a desert island and could eat only one food, what would it be? It has to be a pairing! Like cereal and almond milk or smoked gouda and baguette. Or should I be smart and say kale or something that will give me clean energy?

8. What is your favorite movie and why? Clueless. Come on! As if the movie that awoke my fashion sense weren’t going to be my favorite! Another fun tidbit: I saw Clueless in third grade. My mom made a Clueless-inspired skirt suit in a fruit print for me. I wore it with knee-highs and baby blue, heeled Mary Janes. You can imagine how the other third graders responded.

9. What’s your drink of choice? Ha! Evan, you’re funny! Just one? It depends on my mood! Riesling. Dragonberry vodka with soda and lime. Yuengling/Blue Moon/anything local that I’ve never tried. Also any beer from Jackie O’s in Athens.

There you go! More than you ever wanted to know about me!

Questions:

• Do we have any crazy similarities?
  • What’s your number-one pet peeve?

1 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy February 22, 2012 at 12:07 am

I also feel weird watching a movie during the workweek and I always choose t.v. shows. Always. Also, I’m a night owl and a early bird. Actually, I just want to eliminate sleep altogether (so much to do, so little time), but that’s not really doable. That would be nice though. :)

2 Molly February 22, 2012 at 12:07 am

OMG i hate the sound of chewing too!! i have to leave rooms over it! it drives me INSANE!! i’m glad i’m not the only one. I especially hate when people are eating in class and SMACKING AHHH. i want to claw my eyes out! (and i do the same about apologizing for my own crunching)

3 Rachael February 22, 2012 at 12:19 am

So glad you loved Lance! He was always my favorite member of Nsync. And too underappreciated!

4 Anna February 22, 2012 at 12:26 am

I can’t stand it when someone reads over my shoulder. I can hear/feel them breathing and I just feel violated. ugh.

5 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill February 22, 2012 at 12:28 am

I have a couple of major pet peeves, but it really bothers me when people crack their knuckles. I faint very easily (I’m not kidding!), so when I hear people cracking their knuckles, it grosses me out and makes me nervous that I might pass out.

6 Kellie @ Compelled To Do So February 22, 2012 at 1:07 am

Love this! I hope answering these questions was as fun as reading your responses!

7 Jessica February 22, 2012 at 2:33 am

Could we beee any more alike?

I can’t watch movies during the week (it feels…weird), I always feel the need to apologize if chewing apples (or other loud foods) around other people and I’d like to say I’m open and flexible when it comes to dining out …when in reality, sista has her favorites.

Number one pet peeve: slow walkers. GAHHH.

8 kate February 22, 2012 at 5:48 am

My pet peeve is similar-people slurping their drinks! Eurgh, it makes me shudder even thinking about it. Same with soup…

9 Juliane @ C'est moi à Paris February 22, 2012 at 8:44 am

I can’t stand the sound of chewing! It makes me cringe!!! But I am fine with my own though…

10 Evan February 22, 2012 at 9:11 am

Ahhh I love you. So much to say about all these delightful things. But first – I’m sure glad I can count. Thanks for being so sweet about my questionable counting abilities. Moral of the story? Try to steer clear of counting when hungover :)

ps. I think “trifling hoe” is hilarious too. In fact, I’m going to use this expletive today…maybe not at work, but I’ll find a way to use it. Perhaps by shouting it on the subway? Hmm…

And someday, you will be that editor/model/singer/etc. hybrid. I feel it in muh bones!

11 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie February 22, 2012 at 9:44 am

HAHA. This is great!

I’d say our crazy similarity is our equally lofty ultimate dreams – I’d like to be a magazine editor who runs the magazine’s website, blogs, goes to ALL the fashion shows and tries to intigrate a healthy lifestyle at the company by introducing more eco-friendly practices, features no fur, leather or exotic skins, and adopts healthier eating policies. Lofty!

12 Yellow Haired Girl February 22, 2012 at 10:19 am

I will always pick tv over movie. Pretty sure I fall asleep 9/10 times when I put a movie in. Movie time = code for nap time.

Heyyyyy we have the ultimate dream/career aspiration. Model/blogger/singer/actress/etc. totally attainable :)

13 Lauren February 22, 2012 at 10:44 am

Lance = #1 (I even liked him in On the Line though MY GOSH that was a horrible movie!!!!), Clueless also is one of the best films of all times, and on that note, I also prefer watching TV episodes to movies for the exact same reason. If I put on a movie, I tend to start multi tasking and miss parts of it anyway. With a TV show, I can focus for a little while then move on and feel like I’m still accomplishing something! I feel like that speaks badly of my ability to concentrate though haha

14 Rachel February 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

I hear you on the sound of other people chewing, I get self conscious of my own chomping as well. why do apples have to be so loud and delicious? I went through both an NSYNC and BSB phase, but my heart is with the Backstreet Boys, my mom and I (yes both of us) STILL want to finally see them in concert.

love your shiny gold sneakers!

15 Kelsey February 22, 2012 at 11:10 am

Backstreet Boys 4 lyfe!!! Especially bad boy AJ! I have been to every tour since I was little. Just say them last year with NKOB. best night of my life.

16 Nicole @ Giraffelegs February 22, 2012 at 11:34 am

hahaha loved this post. I don’t think your dreams are too big!….bc I want to work for a magazine too…intern apps are killing meeeeee.

17 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

we have the same exact dream job. let’s run away and do it together.

18 snackface February 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Co-founders of some incredible company that lets us do this! IT’S HAPPENING.

19 Carolyn @HealthKitten.com February 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Just showing my age, but when I was in school, my dream was to be the saxophone player for Duran Duran. Also, John Taylor was going to be my husband.

As you can see, that didn’t happen. ;)

Also, so jealous that you can just have Yuengling whenever you want!! :P

20 Jennifer February 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Carolyn, I will fight you for John Taylor. That man is still hot. ;)

21 Rachel February 22, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Yuengling just recently came to Ohio!

22 snackface February 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Yes it did! And a fast favorite it’s become! Love it.

23 snackface February 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm

It took Ohio long enough to get it! I love your dream of being a saxophone player for Duran Duran. Incredible!

24 Samantha @ My Full Life February 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I am a horrible sleeper also! And napper. A terrible napper. My mind races until I absolutely have to get out of bed. In the morning, once I’m up, I’m up for the day. This pisses my fiance off — “You’re not trying hard enough to go back to sleep.” How exactly do I try harder? Oh well, I like to think I am more productive because of it :)

25 Jennifer February 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm

100% agree with you on #5. Movies are for the weekend. My attention span does best with 30 minute sitcoms (minus Glee, I could watch Glee for 3 hours).

26 Emilia February 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Yes Clueless! Best. Movie. Ever. I also completely agree on watching television vs. watching movies. I rarely have the patience for long movies and much prefer to give my attention in 20/40 minute chunks as opposed to two hour marathons. Unless, of course, I’m on a plane. :)

27 Vegetarian in the City February 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

i was a recess performer as well. except this was grade 5. and our soundtrack ? anything from the spice girls.

28 snackface February 22, 2012 at 11:40 pm

SOUL SISTAS.

29 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Flippin’ hilarious! And I fully agree – movies on weeknights make me feel weird. Now 30 Rock on Netflix – different story.

30 Hillary February 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Chewing and snoring are my version of Chinese water torture. Oh God. I shudder just thinking of it.

I also do the restaurant-picking thing, too. It’s gotten so bad that my boyfriend will rarely make suggestions anymore. He’ll just straight up ask where I’ve already decided we’re going. Selfish? YUP!

31 Paige @ Running Around Normal February 22, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Clueless introduced me to knee socks. Which I totally rocked in the 7th grade with a plaid skirt :)

32 kirsten February 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I love clueless too! Me and my friends did a scene from Clueless during the 5th grade talent show, needless to say we did not win haha.

33 Amy February 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hi:)
I have never commented before, but I am slightly new to reading your blog! You are very gorgeous.

34 snackface February 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Thanks for commenting, Amy! And thans for being so kind!

35 Emily February 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Clueless is my second favorite movie behind Gone With the Wind. I’m pretty certain I know every word of Clueless. I talk along with the movie and laugh like it is the funnest thing ever!

36 Ali @ Around the VeggieTable February 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love your things :) I’m the exact same way about tv vs. movie too. Movies are so LONG. Ugh. Maybe my attention span is short, but I would rather watch 2 or 3 tv shows in a row than a whole movie!

37 Queen February 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Clueless is my favorite movie of all time also!!! I don’t know why.

38 Carrie Purchase February 25, 2012 at 8:41 pm

So funny- when I was in grade school a group of girls and I would always perferm Spice Girl songs on a stage we created in the school playground! I also re-named our group the “Whatever Girls” those were the good ol day! :) I’m the same with watching movies during the workweek. The only time we will do that is if it is free RedBox day and its during the week.

39 Natalie March 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I am so glad that I am not the only one who has an insane disgust with chewing!! I hate when people eat crunchy things like chips around me and I cannot stand smacking. I generally have to get up and leave the table if either of these occur. My poor husband…I have to apologize for being so mean to him about it sometimes. I just can’t stand any sort of sound coming from someone’s mouth when they are eating! ha I sound like a horrible person!

40 Suzanne March 6, 2012 at 12:55 am

Watching movies on Hulu is great while you work out (at home) and yes, the sound of chewing is horrid! Esp eating chips or crunchy snacks in a work meeting… woops. Guilty of that tonight. ha