Trivia Night

by snackface on March 2, 2012 · 16 comments

This is how it went down.

We ordered brews.We answered 10 questions correctly.

We were in first place at halftime, out of 10 total groups.

We ate food. Surprisingly delicious bar food, at that.

Churro-style sweet potato fries with ICING. Yes, ICING. The cinnamon-sugar sweet potato fries and ICING were the hit of the night.

White bean chicken chili: perfectly spicy, perfectly hearty. On point.

We answered 10 questions incorrectly.

We were tied for second.

We took a gamble with the final question.

We bombed.

Fourth place. This won’t happen again in two weeks. First place will be ours!

Question: How competitive are you? I am TERRIBLY competitive. I’ve always been this way. When growing up, if we played Trouble, there was a good chance I’d throw the board if I started losing. It’s an ugly truth. You don’t even want to see the video of my fifth birthday in which I flip out over a game of musical chairs.

1 Christina March 2, 2012 at 12:54 am

YES! I am so competitive, even when I have no hope or chance of winning.
And sweet potato fries are my weekness….

2 Christina March 2, 2012 at 12:55 am

And I spelled weakness wrong? Don’t judge me friends

3 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 2, 2012 at 1:13 am

Sweet potato fries with ICING?!!! I need this in my life!!!
And I am super, super competitive and stubborn.. in a bad way!

4 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters March 2, 2012 at 2:26 am

Ahh! good job with trivia! some coworkers and i went tonight to a trivia place that really mixes it up. they had a round of dingbat challenges, a round of questions, a quickfire round (yay for the canadian on our team who knew all the metric system questions), and then movie quote recognition. too bad we competed against all the googlers who work nearby because they ALWAYS beat us!

5 Evan March 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

Sorry, those churro-style sweet potato fries with icing just blew my mind. Where can I find those in the city?! Do I need to come to Ohio to see you AND track these down?

Trivia nights are awesome. It’s another thing that we don’t have enough of in my neck of the woods – more of a Boston bar thing, it seems.

I’m super competitive about certain things…weird things. Like, in non-hungover yoga classes, I can get pretty competitive. When it comes to knowledge about random things like films/books/publications I love, games, skiing, running, and academics in general, the gamer in me comes out.

6 bmrobertson63 March 2, 2012 at 10:39 am

Okay, I am a Cincy girl and NEED those fries in my life. Where did you find them?

7 Lu March 2, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m super competitive. I used to play those bar trivia games and I hated to lose. I would constantly try to figure out who the winner was so I could give them the stink-eye. I don’t do that anymore…usually. Better luck next time. I know you can do it.

8 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I used to love trivia night at one of our local bars – the winners got giftcards, so if you did well enough, you’d drink and eat for free for the night!

9 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola March 2, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Oh my gosh- Sweet potato fries with icing? Shut up, that sounds incredible. And I’m pretty competitive but I don’t usually freak out if I’m not winning, rather, I’ll get mad at myself for not doing better! It’s taken me years in yoga classes not to chastise myself for being as good as the person next to me!

10 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I’m really competitive – as is my entire family! I’m sure you can guess how crazy our game nights can get!

11 Gillian March 3, 2012 at 7:29 am

I used to love bar trivia when I lived in Ireland! I am not competitive at all – it’s one of the reasons I was so terrible at sports – I was happy just to hang out and talk to people. But then again, when it comes to a cooking or food competition, I want to win! I won a soup competition recently and was so happy I cried.

12 Allie March 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I loveee bar trivia nights. Especially ones with a lot of wonderful beer. Always end up being a great night.

I’m not competitive with sports games/board games (maybe because I’m horribly unathletic…), but I’m fairly competitive with myself with school work and academic stuff. But sometimes if I’ve had a few beers I can get pretty competitive at trivia nights…

Allie

13 Pure2raw twins March 3, 2012 at 9:45 pm

love when bar food is good ;)

and yes competitive! we grew up with sports so it is in our blood, haha

14 Paige @ Running Around Normal March 4, 2012 at 9:09 am

Ha! I’m very competitive too. Shane hates playing certain games with me (ahem, euchre)
Those fries sound freaking heavenly.

15 Nicole @ Giraffelegs March 5, 2012 at 12:05 am

Sweet potato anything is welcome anywhere near me. yummy

16 Chiro in Ohio March 5, 2012 at 1:11 am

Having a Trivia Night with friends seems like a fun activity. Though I feel like we’d only try it once and be done with it.lols. All of us are inherently lazy that way. The sweet potato fry with icing sounds delectable though!