Seg This Way

by snackface on April 8, 2012 · 31 comments

Hi, sweets! After a busy week at work and an interesting week the blog (thanks for the feedback!), come Friday 7 p.m., all I wanted was fun. And fun is what I had.

One of my very best friends, A.Lip, invited me to a music festival and a night of beer and whiskey (more on that in a bit) drinking. We started with food, though. Or else I would have fallen on my face.

Fish tacos at Cactus Pear in Clifton.

Maybe beer accompanied the tacos, along with endless chatter about relationships, internships, marketing, jobs and a theory that couples who end up together have very similar facial features. I swear it.

End of a Bell's Oberon and the beginning of a Corona Light.

We eventually made our way to Rohs Street Cafe to pick up our wristbands for the evening. I was mesmerized by our first band of the night, the name of which I have no idea. This makes me such an awesome festival-goer.

Platinum hair, alto 2 voice, cathedral setting.

On our way to the second venue, we ran into A.Lip’s man, Rome. Rome coordinated the whole event, The Heights Music Festival. Because of this and the fact that Segway was a sponsor, Rome’s mode of transportation was none other than a Segway. We all see where this is going.

Awww yeah. Heavily spotted by Rome, though. This look is a mix of sheer terror and joy.

P.S. Wearing a silver sweater garners comments such as, “You’re money, baby, you’re money!” And a lot of, “So what is this? Futuristic? 80s?”

Back to the music. We headed to Christy’s to watch another band whose name I forget. State Street. Street Sport. State Sport. Something. They sounded very The Vines circa “Highly Evolved”— meaning, I loved it.

You need more than a point-and-shoot for bands, as I've learned.

The beautiful A.Lip.

A.Lip and I lived in the same neighborhood forever, went to high school together, traveled to Italy together. We ran into another friend who went to Italia with us, Harrison. It was fantastic seeing him and catching up!

After the mini-reunion, A.Lip and I went to one other cafe and then to Baba Budan’s. Parked at the bar, we had a shot of whiskey (this was more like a dare, as neither of us has acquired a taste for it…yet) and then a steady stream of brews.

The morning after, I had grand plans of fitting in a workout, primping and getting to my voice lessons across town by 12:45 p.m. Ha! Yeah right. What actually happened: devoured a bagel sandwich and coffee, showered, struggled to choose an outfit, ended up throwing on a dress, drove across town chugging water the whole time.

Bruegger's egg white, cheese and sundried tomato on everything.

My voice lesson went surprisingly well considering all the talking-over-bands I’d done the night prior. It’s all about those warm ups.

I tried to go shopping afterward, but it turned out to be disastrous. Kenwood was hideously busy and I just wasn’t feeling it. I was also reminded, yet again, that H+M has the worst lighting in its dressing rooms. Anyone else feel me on this? And you absolutely have to try things on at H+M because the sizes are all over the place.

Anyway, I drove straight home, changed into shorts and a sweatshirt, curled up in a ball and watched My Week With Marilyn. Incredible! A quiet story of Marilyn’s insecurities, the intrigue and costuming swept me away. Michelle Williams was magical in a role I never would have pictured her in.

I remained a total zombie for the rest of the day, watching Young Adult (depressing but good) and Conception (boring and obviously written by a man— all the women were bitchy). Then I slept for 10 hours.

Sunday I awoke feeling groggier than ever. Downed coffee and pumpkin pancakes. MamaJ and I spent Easter afternoon walking Marshmallow for 1.5 miles, then continuing without her for 3.5 miles.

Post-walk, I cleaned my car, showered, snacked, napped. Tried to work for a couple hours but found zero inspiration for the project. Then the whole family sat down around the table for a lovely holiday feast.I say this after almost every weekend, but it was just what I needed. A night of fun, a day of rest and a day of family. I’m really looking forward to the week ahead, too. Lots going on at work and socially, which will have me using a vacation day on Friday. I spend these very carefully. It’s for the best reason.

With that, I’m off to spend the rest of what’s left of the weekend eating ice cream and watching a movie. I hope your weekend was marvelous, too!

Seg this way. Tootles.

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Everything bagels are straight up magic. I swear I could eat one errday. Too bad he didn’t give you the seggy for free.

2 Sana April 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

So fun :) Is riding a segway like riding a bike?

3 glidingcalm April 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

awesome weekend! jealous you got to try a segwayyyyyyy! wassssssssssup

4 Alessandra April 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm

What did you think of Young Adult? I thought Charlize was very convincing as the mentally ill and self-absorbed Mavis, but I couldn’t really tell if anything was resolved at the end or if she had grown up at all. And as always, gotta love Patton Oswalt (you should listen to his stand up, by the way-really funny!)

5 snackface April 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

Alessandra- I really enjoyed Young Adult. Did you think Mavis was mentally ill or just delusional? I think it’s common for people to believe so fiercely in something that isn’t real, that they are shocked when the truth unveils itself. Mind you, she was a little psychotic (I interpreted the hair-pulling as a nervous tick), but I didn’t see her as actually mentally ill. I also didn’t think a damn thing was resolved by the end. The fact that she told the sister, who’d just said that everyone in that town might as well be dead, that she’s “good for” that town…no conscience whatsoever. Back to being her same ol’ self. Did you cringe every time she downed Diet Coke first thing in the morning?

6 Alessandra April 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yea I *think* that I liked it overall. It was hard to tell with her character. She seemed to be living a bit beyond a reasonably normal delusional. On the other hand, she did realize that she was crazy after the baby’s party (that scene was PAINFUL). Haha but between the alcoholism and depression I think the Diet Coke was the least of her problems…

Also, if you liked this movie and you haven’t seen Juno, you might want to check that out. Same writer, very quirky, but more upbeat.

7 snackface April 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hahaha so true that the Diet Coke is the most innocent part of her diet. I have seen Juno, but it’s been a long time. I should rent it.

8 Emily April 9, 2012 at 1:28 am

What a fun weekend! I’m so jealous that you got to ride a segway.
I watched Young Adult and My Week With Marilyn last week too and thoroughly enjoyed them! The acting was sensational in both films.
And I lovelovelove those blue pants!

9 KaraHadley April 9, 2012 at 3:32 am

Now you’ve got me realllllly craving an everything bagel. But sadly, they don’t have bagels in England. They have scones (delicious!) and crumpets (not delicious). Oh, and I’ve seen people wearing metallic sweaters and while it looks good, something about it just doesn’t click in my mind. When I think sweater, I think grandma. When I think metallic, I think fashionable/party. My grandma is neither fashionable nor likes to party.

10 Floey April 9, 2012 at 5:31 am

Haha me and my friends did a segway tour when we went to chicago over spring break. It was…pretty fun :P…and awk. at the same time. Definitely an experience!

11 kaila @ healthyhelper! April 9, 2012 at 8:37 am

I have always always always wanted to try a segway!!!! They look so fun!! How was it?!

12 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe April 9, 2012 at 9:00 am

So fun! Looks like you had a great weekend. And that bagel looks awesome right now. My PB Cheerios aren’t doing the trick.

13 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie April 9, 2012 at 9:28 am

Love these types of weekends! I always miss the BF when we don’t see each other on weekens (like, painfully) but it’s sometimes nice to stick close to home, catch up w/ friends & family, and enjoy “you time” doing thinks like sleeping in, shopping, reading magazines, catching up on Netflix… etc. :)

P.S. Like the silver! :) Did you pair it w/ motorcycle boots???

14 snackface April 9, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Caity- Yes, I love some “me” time! It’s essential. And yes, those are motorcycle boots with a zipper up the back. I bought them in NYC in January and have a hard time NOT wearing them.

15 laura April 9, 2012 at 10:22 am

so good to get a glimpse of the ‘nati, my hometown, through your blog! I love your sweater… can’t wait to hear about your vacation day plans!

16 Yellow Haired Girl April 9, 2012 at 11:03 am

Hahaha love the segway! I would have been so scared that I would fall on my face. I’m pretty uncoordinated.

And I love your silver sweater :)

17 Mansee April 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Those pants! LOVE.

18 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola April 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm

That sounds like a great weekend! I love weekends that are mixed with fun nights out, relaxing days and time spent with family! I would have been scared to try the segway– I’m nervous I would fall! And I’m digging the silver sweater and cobalt pants– you look great!!

19 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Got to love segways- I always thought people were just lazy who used them but they look like they could be fun!

20 Tamar April 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm

That silver sweater is fantastic. I have a gold sweater that I’ve been too timid to wear out, but your pictures have changed my mind. Even if I get some blingin’ feedback. Have a great week!

21 Christine (The Raw Project) April 9, 2012 at 9:35 pm

What a great weekend! Segways are so much fun, only got to ride one once – but what a blast!

22 Janna April 9, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Oh my Clifton, how I miss thee! Thank you so much for sharing your weekend with us, I would have been right there with you if I was still in school! I went to UC but just recently moved to San Fran. I used to live really close to Rohs and went often to meet girlfriends for coffee (they have spectacular caps). Christy’s is such a favorite, you could go on a Thursday night in spring and still steal seats outside on the picnic benches and people watch.

I have no idea why I’ve waited to comment this long, thanks for posting about home :)

23 Rika April 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I agree on your theory about couples with similar facial features! My friend and I were discussing about this too and we concluded that it’s because we look for our ideals of yourself!

24 snackface April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

Rika, yes! I will never forget what my English teacher from 10th grade said. He said that humans are generally narcissistic (in that we love ourselves and we can’t help it), so when we fall in love, that other person either has traits about ourselves that we love or traits that we wish we had to make us even better. I think it carries on to the physical, too.

25 Maja April 10, 2012 at 7:00 am

Love the boots!

26 Emily April 10, 2012 at 9:21 am

Did that Orange Blossom beer taste anything like a creamsicle? If so, it may go on my must-try list.

27 snackface April 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

It DID! If Sunkist or IBC made a beer, this is what it would taste like. I think I actually said that to a stranger that night, too.

28 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 10, 2012 at 10:43 am

you on that segway just makes me laugh. I’m convinced lanky broads like us just can’t pull it off without making it funny.

29 snackface April 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

I KNOW! My shoulders are up by my ears, just looking all awkward.

30 Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras April 10, 2012 at 11:00 am

I dream of riding a segway. I’d feel like I was living in the future.

31 Casey April 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Looks so fun & yummy. Your colored jeans are so cute!

That orange blossom beer is my favorite. The restaurant that brews it is right by my house!