Cincinnati Spotlight: Terry’s Turf Club

by snackface on April 25, 2012 · 20 comments

Last Saturday, after working for six hours at the office, the crew and I decided we deserved a break. A delicious, satiating break.

Most of my coworkers live in an entirely different, slightly younger area of Cincinnati. Because they experience entirely different restaurants on their side of town, I said, “I’ll go wherever!” Twenty minutes later, I found myself outside the most fluorescent restaurant I’ve ever seen. We’d arrived at Terry’s Turf Club.

We were greeted by an 18-year-old dude with serious sales swagger. He showed us to the bar, where we waited for a table. I ordered a black currant elixir, which was simply black currant juice mixed with vodka. As I told the bartender my name for my tab, he said, “Are you foreign? You must be. I knew from those beady eyes.” Um, OK. There’s a first for everything…

It was only after we were seated that I figured out Terry’s Turf Club was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I always feel kind of dweeby eating at a restaurant that’s been on a t.v. show, but I did see Guy Fieri at the Super Bowl. And I geeked out.

I took a glance at the menu and was completely overwhelmed. Our waitress was kind enough to walk me through it. I decided to go the non-burger route, and ordered a mahi sandwich with gouda and mango tequila jalapeno sauce.

We then waited, sipped drinks, gabbed about relationships. (Fact: Spending all your time at work will cause a kerfuffle or two.)Soon enough, happiness arrived. When food is this good, it doesn’t matter that it’s served on a paper plate.

The mahi was fat, perfectly juicy and tender. Topped with a thick slice of always-good gouda and sweet-spicy mango jalapeno sauce, this was nothing short of succulent. I’m sorry if that word creeps you out, but it’s the only word to describe this. Also, heaven. And the FRIES. Crispy on the outside, puffy on the inside.

After a week of sleeping five hours per night, writing and editing in every hour other than those five and subsisting on caffeine snacks, this was the soul-satisfying meal I needed. It was as though my whole entire body sighed with relief.

And then we got in trouble for talking about R-rated things in a family establishment. That was our cue to head to a bar.

Question: Are there any restaurants in your area that have been on t.v. or are highly publicized (NYC readers…I know)? Does it live up to the hype? My answer is a resounding yes when it comes to Terry’s.

1 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! April 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Mahi mahi with mango sauce?! Get in mah belly NOW! That sounds incredible!

2 Jennifer April 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Ahh looks delish! Haha succulent…was it super MOIST too?! Eeeee.

3 Anna April 26, 2012 at 12:35 am

in Pittsburgh Primanti Brothers is pretty darn TV famous for their sandwiches with french fries and coleslaw ON them. they’re big and messy and best eaten with a stack of napkins right next to you.

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 27, 2012 at 10:36 pm

My boyfriend wants to take a road trip to Pittsburgh just to eat at Primanti Bros!

5 Evan April 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

Oh gosh, as you know, NYC is the land of hyped restaurants. Some are worth it, but sadly, few are. I’ve been to plenty of awful restaurants that have a loyal following of Kool-Aid drinkers (I’m looking at you, Empellon).

That said, part of my job is creating hype for restaurants :) We only take on clients that we can get behind, because at the end of the day, the food is all that matters. But I guess I’m part of the hype machine, eh?

6 Faith @ For the Health of It April 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

A lot of the restaurants here in Orlando are overhyped for tourists. Thankfully I live farther away from Disney and more towards the cute, artsy eclectic areas where there are some awesome unique places.

7 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie April 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but I don’t watch TV so I have NO idea whether any of my SF restaurants have been featured on reality shows. BUT I always get excited when food bloggers I love mention my favorite restaurants – Millennium, Don Pistos, & Greens are my go-to places and I’ve gotten to read about them on the blogs I follow. :)

P.S. Mango jalapeno sauce sounds fabulous, I might need to recreate that!

8 lynn @ the actor's diet April 26, 2012 at 10:55 am

i’ve only been to one DDD place (it delivered) but most things i’ve tried from “best thing i’ve ever ate” have been disappointing. and yet, i still go…

9 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe April 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

Mmmm that sounds delish.

10 Nicole April 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I was disappointed by Terry’s, well the atmosphere anyway, the food was great. I actually ordered the mahi too! It was excellent on it’s own, even when I found bones… and the paper plates? Psssh. I was even more put off when I looked over and saw our waiter eating, at the same time, the same thing I was. Go for the food, not the atmosphere, it seemed to be filled with old(er) people still trying to be cool. Plus the place is frickin tiny, you’d think he’d want to expand instead of cramming people inside.

11 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola April 26, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Ohh your drink sounds so good! I’m surprised they would have cocktails at a place with paper plates! And I don’t even like fish and that sandwich looks great! I think publicized places are a hit or miss .. ie the Stinking Rose in SF… it’s overpriced and the food just isn’t good. But Serendipity? So worth the press.

12 Kadee April 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I got engaged outside a Chinese Restaurant featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives in North Pole, Alaska. hehehehe

13 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy April 27, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Well first off, I simply love the love kerfuffle. And yes, spending too much time at work certainly does cause quite a few of them.

My family has gone to a restaurant that was featured at Diner, Drive-ins, and Dives. It featured burgers with mayo and peanut butter. Sounds gross, but apparently they’re delicious!

14 Deva @ Deva by Definition April 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I have been meaning to try Terry’s – i’ve heard the burgers are amazing!

15 Maddy April 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm

If Guy Fieri taught me anything, it’s that paper plates are nothin’ but a good sign!

16 jenna April 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm

that sandwich looks soooo good! great combo of flavors!

17 Ayla April 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Since you’re slowly jumping back on the meat wagon, I suggest we switch next time we go! Grilled chix w/ roasted red peppers, caramelized onions, and goat cheese? Seriously. Amazeballs.

18 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm

There is nothing like a good mahi mahi sandwich. I am craving fries for sure now ;)

19 katieDid April 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

The restaurant I work in was on bobby flay’s throwdown actually!

20 jenna May 24, 2012 at 9:06 am

that salmon burger looks amazinggg!