Hi, kids! I know. It’s the evening of your mid-week vacation. Tonight is basically a Friday and tomorrow is essentially a Sunday. If you and I are on the same page, you’re probably looking forward to going out tonight, drinking fruity cocktails tomorrow, catching some rays (use protection) and feasting on some of the finest barbecued goods of all time. At least, these are my hopes.
But before we get to that, might I suggest a lovely, satisfying salad? It’s the perfect light but substantial meal to nosh on before heading out. Plus, it’ll take less than 10 minutes to throw together, and if there’s anything I know, it’s time management while you’re getting dolled up for the night. I would eat this while touching up my bronzer but before brushing my teeth and putting on gloss.
Ingredients for one:
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 small onion, chopped (or omit if you want to meet some dimey strangers tonight)
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- handful pitted Kalamata olives, sliced in half
- 1/3 block tempeh, cubed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- scoop of hummus (optional)
- Cube, chop, slice, dice all ingredients through tempeh. Add them to your serving bowl one by one.
- Squeeze lemon over mixture— watch out for seeds!
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss mixture together using your (clean) hands.
- Wash your mitts.
- Scoop hummus on top.
- Take a picture if that’s your thing.