Since December 2010

by snackface on July 11, 2012 · 43 comments

Hi, loves! Guess what? It’s time for some real talk.

Tomorrow (I’m writing this at 10:45 p.m. Wednesday night) will be my last day at work. My last day at my first real, salaried job. My last day at the job that gave me more than just health benefits and a start to my 401K. It’s the end of a chapter, but the next chapter is going to be so juicy that I am brimming with excitement. I’m ready for it to begin.

But it’s finally time I reveal what I’ve been up to since December 2010, when I started my first post-grad job. Some may call it a career.

I spent five months after graduation searching for a job. I applied for a writing position that was close to home for a number of reasons (the most pressing being finances and a new relationship). In December, after a two-week trial period, I was hired on full-time by Pure Romance, LLC (then Inc.) as a copywriter. With my journalism degree, I was able to apply everything I’d learned to marketing and sales copy. Thankfully, I was on a team of fellow Bobcats and a Scripps alumna.

Now, I need to tell you a little bit more about Pure Romance. It’s an in-home party plan that specializes in bedroom enhancement products. That’s a euphemism for sex toys. Yes, that means seeing a dildo or dual-action vibrator around the office is as common as seeing a pen or stapler. I’ve spent hours with my teammates brainstorming names for clitoral vibrators, warming lubricants, butt plugs and beyond (tons of makeup and beauty products as well). It has been hilarious and challenging. I’ve had more days than I can count where I’ve been in tears cracking up debating names or trying to figure out a product (there is nothing like trying on a Sexy Spreader before 9 a.m. for copy purposes) or doing research. Sex is fun and that’s what our main task is: get people to have fun and open their minds a little, and to help women feel that exploring this side of them is more than OK.

We also deal a lot with women’s sexual health and funding research, which is lacking. Perimenopause, menopause, vulvovaginal pain disorders, pelvic prolapse, sexual dysfunction after cancer therapy, and libido, desire and pleasure are our main fundraising focuses.

The other part to Pure Romance is marketing to the Consultants. These are the women who go into ladies’ homes and educate them about intimacy, the human body and how to use products (through speaking and displaying the toys, not using them, which is a common misconception). These are also women who transform their own lives. Some Consultants have moved their families from trailer parks to three-story houses because they worked their business. As copywriters, this is the part that has us creating brochures, newsletters, in-company magazines, radio advertisements, blogs, articles, legal documents, website content, event conceptualization (and collateral materials), catalogs, signs, etc. Anything involving words and we’re on it!

It’s difficult to summarize my time at Pure Romance. At the start, I was awkward and new and didn’t have the voice nailed down pat (oh that’s another thing…there is a sex joke in most sentences). Now, as I prepare to leave, I feel as though I’m leaving my second home, full of some of my closest friends. I said to a couple coworkers today: “Guys, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to be this weird around anyone else.” It’s true. We’re that close. We’ve been through a lot of insane projects and tight deadlines together. My bosses really gave me a chance and believed in me. I’m endlessly grateful for the opportunities I’ve been given.

I don’t think I could have imagined a crazier, more fun or more challenging first job after college. I love that. Now, I’m ready for what’s next, and a lot of that is thanks to the experiences I’ve had with my Pure Romance team.

P.S. I totally understand if you have questions! Feel free to ask me in the comments or email me!

1 lynn @ the actor's diet July 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm

woah! that’s a lot more exciting than my first job outa college…

2 Danielle July 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Eek! I adore you. So glad you enjoyed this experience and so excited for what’s to come!

3 Sana July 11, 2012 at 11:38 pm

LOL!!!!! It would have been so much fun if you had blogged about your job as you worked there. You obvi could not have, but AWESOME BLOG CONTENT!

4 Ags July 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Wow, I never comment on blogs I read (and I mean NEVER). Just wanted to say: YOU GO GIRL!! Girls and women need more female empowerment and more importantly, the power (and tools and open-ness) to understand, appreciate and love our bodies. It is things like this that give women confidence (both in the bedroom and out) and help us finally stop the self loathing cycle.

5 snackface July 12, 2012 at 12:03 am

Ags, you have no idea how much it means to me that you commented! I really appreciate it! Women really need as much support as possible! Explore, have fun, be safe, enjoy! We do a lot of work with trying to help women feel comfortable with their bodies and appreciating them. It’s something women of all ages struggle with!

6 Sara K July 11, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Wowww!!!! If that is not an awesome first post-grad job, I don’t know what is! I guess I’m curious about what your family/friend’s reactions were upon first finding out about Pure Romance. I am very interested though in the aspect about women’s sexual health/research- definitely would love to see a few more blogposts reflecting about your experience at Pure Romance (perhaps a regular day-in-the-office type post)?

7 snackface July 12, 2012 at 12:06 am

Sara, great questions and suggestion! I’ll tackle the first question now! My family is familiar with Pure Romance because it’s huge in Cincinnati. They thought it was awesome! My dad is extremely conservative and he thought it was simply a great company to work for with a strong, fearless female leader at the helm (a mother of four founded the company). My friends thought it was hilarious and also awesome. I’ll tell you what’s strange though is dating again and having people ask you what you do! Me: I’m a writer. Dude: What do you write about? Me: Well… Hahaha that I should write about!

8 Lisa July 12, 2012 at 12:23 am

I’m sorry, but I laughed out loud about the part on tough tight deadlines. I’m so immature. I love that you opened up about this. Sexual health and being sexual creatures is simply part of human nature. Duh! That is a really great post college job as well, and quite an exciting one. Sexual health is very misunderstood I think, and its so important for woman (and men) to learn more about it, instead of it being “forbidden language”, its part of our bodies so we should embrace it not be embarrassed by it!

9 snackface July 12, 2012 at 12:26 am

Lisa, I laughed while writing the tight deadlines thing! That is EXACTLY the stuff we laugh about all the time! Sexual health, on the other hand, is not. Thanks for your words of support! It definitely does not need to be a “forbidden language”– we need to talk about these topics and what’s happening with our bodies! That’s why research is so far behind…people have a hard time being honest with their doctors and opening up.

10 Jessica July 12, 2012 at 12:39 am

I am sooo pumped to hear details about what’s next! Please fill us in, and soon! You obviously learned a ton from this job and I’m comforted to know that with time, you were able to make some truly amazing friends. I just started my first real, post-college job (like, two days ago) and am hoping the amount of new faces becomes less and less overwhelming day by day.

Again, so excited for you! XO

11 Emily July 12, 2012 at 1:16 am

Wow, I had no idea! I love that you were finally able to open up about this. I think it’s awesome that you were mature enough to work in such a “grown up” environment right out of college. (And being silly and inappropriate with sex toys definitely doesn’t make you were immature- just human!) It actually sounds like an amazing company!

I can’t WAIT to hear all about what’s to come for you. I know there are tons of exciting things in your future and hopefully we’ll be living really close to one another soon! <3

12 jmichelle July 12, 2012 at 6:03 am

You are obviously moving on to bigger, if not better, things now. I am so curious what’s next!! Don’t keep us in suspense too long! :-)

13 Gina July 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

SO COOL to finally learn what your job is — makes me, the soon-to-be-grad feel better about all the different opportunities there are in the world of journalism/writing! Can’t wait to find out what your going to do next! Good luck :)

14 Gina July 12, 2012 at 8:48 am

SO COOL to finally learn what your job is — makes me, the soon-to-be-grad, feel better about all the different opportunities there are in the world of journalism/writing! Can’t wait to find out what your going to do next! Good luck :)

15 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie July 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

That is so awesome. What a great experience! I can bet nothing will ever be quite the same after having that as your first job. haha. Good luck on your next chapter, can’t wait to hear what’s coming next!

16 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

Good luck with what’s next, Kailey!! :)

17 Yellow Haired Girl July 12, 2012 at 10:24 am

Okay. What a cool job! I loved reading about it. Good luck on the next step in your life … I can’t wait to hear about it :)

18 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

Oh my gosh, what a fascinating place to work! Probably not what you expected when you were studying journalism! :)

19 Hannah July 12, 2012 at 11:04 am

Thanks for sharing! And I’d love to echo the sentiments of other commenters in regards to empowering women (financially and sexually and emotionally, etc), research, de-stigmatizing sex/sex toys/exploration. I think it’s really important and most of all FUN. And so glad you had such a wonderful experience and close relationships with your coworkers – hope you are able to stay in touch as you take the next leap!

20 Conni July 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

That’s so wonderful that you were able to have this amazing experience the past 2 years. I’m so excited to see what the future holds for you. You are such a fantastic person and I know you will excel in any and everything you do.

21 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola July 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Omigosh so fun to hear what you’ve been up to for the past 2 years!! It sounds like it has been a fun, crazy job and great experience! As a fellow writer I love the idea of spending time thinking of different words to describe toys! How awesome! So excited to hear what your next step is, please share soon!

22 Melissa July 12, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Man, that is some impressive job straight out of college! The future is going to .be exciting for you I’m sure!

23 Katie July 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Random, but today is my last day at my first ‘real’ job too! Although yours sounds significantly more exciting. Thank you for the info about your company – i have heard of the company but had no idea they were so involved with fundrsaising for womens health. Very cool!

24 Kristen July 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm

It’s my last day at the job I got straight out of school as well! Haha, too funny :) I start my new job on Monday in a different state, woop woop!

25 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm

You definitely win for most interesting job out of school.

I’m going back for grad school in the fall – I hope my job afterwards is as fun as yours seemed to be!

26 Kristin Fleck July 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm

HAHA! i had a feeling people would go crazy over this. Being from Cincy, my reaction was simply, “so that’s where she works!” I thought about applying there, actually, but then we moved to NKY. So kind of a far commute. Also, when I read this last night, I had the Pure Romance jingle i my head for the rest of the night!

Are you leaving Cincy soon? Should we have an A Tavola date? :)

27 Lauren July 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Gurl…This is freakin EPIC. Who else can say that they have done this??! Dayum…Sounds like you must giggle all day long lol

28 TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] July 15, 2012 at 8:04 pm

AMEN. Epic!!!

29 Sarah B. July 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm

So this would explain why I thought I randomly heard your voice during a Pure Romance commercial! I feel like such a creep, but whatevs…

Can’t wait to hear what’s next!

30 Heather July 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm

what an awesome experience! especially as your first job, i can imagine how great it was to have a job that essentially requires you to have a little fun AND become super close with your coworkers. good luck on your next step in your career path!

31 Amber July 13, 2012 at 7:18 am

Ha, that sounds like so much fun actually!
Sex IS fun :)

32 Kittie July 13, 2012 at 11:36 am

You….had my dream job. O.o I’m starting my senior year of college in September and I have been a basket-case trying to figure out what I’ll be doing. I am an English major with a technical/professional writing minor. Basically, I can write anything for anyone if they’ll have me. But I’ve also always wanted to work in a sex toy shop. I can’t really explain it. I just love the environment. Maybe there will be a spot like this for me somewhere. :) Good luck with your future! I’ve loved your blog for years now and this makes me love it more.

33 Chelsea July 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm

So not what I would have guessed for you, but very cool! I actually went to a Pure Romance party a while back. It was a lot of fun and I was very impressed by the company.

34 Molly July 13, 2012 at 7:09 pm

OMG good for you girl!!! I am so excited to hear about where you’re going next!!!!!

I’m interning in the political field for a pro-choice/pro-reproductive rights organization, and I spent a lot of time afraid to tell people for fear of judgment, being labelled, etc.- but that’s exactly the kind of stereotypes we can fight against simply by example. I’m smart, I’m responsible, I’m kind, AND I am all about the birth control.
GO YOU!

35 Molly July 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

P.S.: Totally online shopping now.

36 Karen July 13, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Good for you! I’ve been reading your blog since you graduated college (I think we’re about the same age and I could always relate to you with job-searching/soul-searching issues). I had no idea what your job was! I always assumed you were working for a food or lifestyle magazine, haha. I agree with others – it’s a shame you couldn’t blog about all your work experiences – you must have a million hilarious stories by now! Good luck with your transition and thanks for sharing.

37 angie July 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm

what are you going to do now?

38 Amy July 13, 2012 at 9:26 pm

So lovely to be part of the ‘big reveal’ of what you do! Congratulations :)

39 TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] July 15, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I can’t wait to hear what’s next for you!

I think it’s so great that Pure Romance does education and research in addition to selling their products. I was raised Mormon and I KNOW that demographic has absolutely no idea what they are doing in the bedroom and has such guilt about the whole sex-as-pleasure thing in general. Educating and empowering women in all aspects – including this – is wonderful to hear.

40 Jaeme July 15, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Teri I found this link from your blog and I just have to reply to your comment because it is extremely generalized. Sorry to disappoint, but not all LDS members (yes, even ones born and raised in Utah) are lost about what to do in the bedroom and we DEFINITELY don’t all have guilt about sex as pleasure. In fact, most of the LDS people I associate with are very comfortable with sex and enjoy experimenting with different things with their spouse. I think it has WAY more to do with how you were raised to think about sex than it does with being LDS. And yes, some LDS families don’t talk about it openly with their kids because of our beliefs, but it is definitely not the whole demographic and I would say not even the majority.

As an active LDS female, I enjoyed reading the post and I think it is great to make females feel more comfortable with their sexuality! That is one entertaining job!

41 Shannon October 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I totally agree with Jaeme- I’m a Mormon woman who very much looked forward to sex when I got married and had no guilt about it at all! I agree- if you were raised to think it was bad, then you associate it with that. To say that all Mormon women feel guilty about sex and don’t know what to do in the bedroom is totally ignorant. That’s like an ignorant mormon person saying all non-mormon people who don’t abstain from alcohol are probably alcoholics.

42 Jen @nutcaseinpoint July 18, 2012 at 12:44 am

What an awesome experience to have! I only wish my first post-college job was as exciting/challenging/rewarding/anything other than my bored-out-of-my-skull desk job!

Good luck in your future endeavors:)
Ps I already read your next post about moving and I’m super jealy it’s to CA! I’m originally from the OC myself (insert a giant kick to my own ass for somehow winding up in Calgary. Oh right, my husband) and the weather/everything else is balls to the walls fantastic!

43 Kelly July 25, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Just out of curiosity…how come you couldn’t share where you worked before leaving?