Up Next

by snackface on July 16, 2012 · 56 comments

Hi, loves! Wow, thank you all for the positive words on my job “reveal.” Work was always something I wanted to blog about, but never could (for obvious reasons). I have memories that will last a lifetime, and I hope to share some of those stories with you over time.

So now is the part where I tell you what I’m doing next. And it’s not going to be a surprise of any sort if you know me/read my blog/stalk me/whatever. I haven’t been trying to keep it a secret.

On Friday, July 20 (THIS Friday!), I am up and moving to L.A. Yep, like millions of people before me, I am just a Midwest girl moving west to pursue opportunities, have a great adventure and create stories.

Moving to California has been a dream that seemed so far-fetched, I wrote it off. There were times over the past two years in which I told myself, “That’s just not going to happen in your lifetime.” To be totally honest, I spent much of the past two years crying, not liking my situation and generally feeling sorry for myself. I felt stuck. My wake-up call came in September of 2011, when I burned off my face in a kitchen accident. (Do we like how dramatic I made that sound?)

While I recovered, I could do nothing other than lie around, watch movies and sleep. It was as though the universe forced me to stop and reflect. I physically could do nothing else, but my mind was racing. There’s been this whirling anxiety in my chest ever since then because, during my recovery, I felt with every fiber of my being: “I only get one chance at this.” People say that all the time, but I’d never felt that. Until then.

For several months after, I went back to work, emailing my best friend and plotting my move day after day. This started in December. As some may recall, I was also in a relationship at the time. When you are not on the same page or same timeline, you have to listen to your gut. The move and risks I had in mind, I wanted to affect no one else.

In May, I decided that moving  had to happen. But first I wanted to actually visit the place! I planned a week-long trip in L.A. and informed my bosses of it. They had sit-down talks with me as to what I really wanted out of my trip, and I left with their full support and understanding. (Our office is open like that. The pro and con of a family-run business!)

The trip turned into two weeks. I came home knowing what I wanted to do, knowing what I should avoid and knowing that I wasn’t going to be in Ohio for much longer.

My story is just about to begin. I’m a 24-year-old chick about to embark on a crazy journey and trying to figure out who she is along the way. It’s hands-down the wildest thing I’ve done. But I know that this is what I have to do now.

What exactly will I be doing in L.A.? A little bit of everything, I hope. I have freelance work and social media consulting lined up, but aside from that, I am open to pretty much anything. Modeling, acting and music are, of course, on the plate as well. I’d also love to get involved in the food scene in some way. So basically, I want to do it all! Feasible.

My goal is as simple as this: I just want to be happy and spend my days doing things I love. That’s really it. I’m excited to be able to share my adventure with you.

1 Mansee July 16, 2012 at 6:35 pm

How exciting! After years of dreaming about it, I just moved to San Francisco from Texas a few weeks ago. Although things are bonkers crazy right now, I am SO happy I made the move. We’re young and we deserve to be happy even if that means doing things a little differently! Good luck with everything!

2 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I want to just up and move to a big city! I should probably focus on my first year of college though before making any decisions like that though LOL.

3 melissa @ 53blonde July 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I love this – I’ve been following for so long, I can’t wait to follow this part of your journey. XO!

4 Lauren July 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Welcome to LA! :)

5 Floey July 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Yay. LA’ers unite haha. I’m from So. Cal as well :P

6 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling July 16, 2012 at 7:16 pm

SO SO excited for you! I have a pretty similar dream and making it happen seems so far fetched, but after reading your story, it gives me hope. I wish you all the best and can’t wait to read more about it!

7 Christian July 16, 2012 at 7:18 pm

do it up. i’ve been following this blog for the past couple years, and you better live it up in cali, or else!

8 Liz July 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm

It’s not actually “wild” for a 20-something to move to a new city. People do it all the time. But I’m glad you’re excited, and as an Angeleno, I’d encourage you to spend time in the eastside and in the awesome wilderness near LA so that you don’t think (or inform your readers) that LA is just the Sunset Strip.

9 Taylor July 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I just want to say I have been reading for a while and think you are a great inspiration. Although I am still in college I also have big city dreams, I cant wait to read more about your journey to come and hopefully get the courage that you have to do the same!

10 meg July 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

SO excited for you , sweet girl! you are going to LOVE it out there and have so many fun adventures!! cant wait to read all about them :)

11 Sam July 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Ahhhhh!! I can’t wait to read all about your new adventures!! :)

12 Callie July 16, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Kailey, this is so wonderful! I sorta did the same thing when I opted to leave my beloved Midwest to go to college in New York City. It hasn’t been the easiest transition, but I know its soo worth it and I love the feel of a big city so much. You seem extremely ready for L.A…it sounds like you know where to keep your head at while still having the time of your life. I cannot wait to see where the city takes you-best of luck!

-Callie (callieTIU on twitter!)

13 Floey July 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Yay! I am a Journalism grad from Southern California and am trying to make it in the city of LA just as you will be :) It’s such a tough and competitive scene, but it looks like you have the drive to do just fine. If you’re doing a meet up or anything you should definitely let me know! :D

14 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie July 16, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Congratulations for being so unbelievably brave Kailey, and GOOD LUCK! You’ll have to plan some California adventures and visit us San Franciscans when you get a chance. :)

15 jordan @ thedancingdonut July 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

good for you!!! i just moved here to LA one year ago straight out of college to pursue dance and i’ve absolutely fallen in love with california. i wish you the absolute best and maybe we’ll run into each other at a new restaurant or something :)

16 Emily July 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I have moved twice without knowing anyone really. I moved to Seattle for graduate school without ever been or knowing a single person. I just moved to Chicago. This time I know two people. Embrace the freedom you have when you get up and move to a new city. It is all about you and that is wonderful.

17 Lindsey Morningstar July 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hi! I’m new to your blog and was instantly drawn to your story about moving cross country. I moved from Maryland to Santa Barbara, CA for grad school and lived there for 5 years until work/family brought me back. I LOVED every minute of it!! Beyond being such a beautiful place to live, it’s just amazing to get out there and explore the world! You will learn so much about yourself, people you want to surround yourself with, and what you want in life. I look forward to reading about all your travels!!

18 Anon July 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Ive been reading for awhile, not commenting. I sincerely wish you luck. I was somewhat in your shoes a couple of years ago, before I moved to NYC. The emotions: excited, hopeful, confident and scared sh*tless. Three years later, I can say I am so glad I am on this adventure, but it is by no means always easy and glamorous. Work hard (and then harder), follow your gut, you already knew that, and don’t get caught up in the hype; its the fastest way to “down-and-out”.

19 Kristen July 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Hey Kailey! I’m a long-time reader, first time commenter, and I’m honestly not even sure how I first found your blog, but just wanted to say BEST OF LUCK in Cali and I can’t wait to read about this next chapter of your life! I moved from all my family and everything I knew in Pennsylvania to Atlanta 2 years ago and while it’s absolutely been challenging I’ve grown SO much as the person I know I’m meant to be, and I know you will too <3

20 Clare @ Fitting It All In July 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

YOU GO GIRL. I have dreams and I’m still not quite brave enough to make the big move like you are. go get ‘em!

21 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 16, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great in LA :-)

22 Nicole July 16, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I just moved to Chicago, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I know you will do great things and have a ton of fun in LA!

23 erica July 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm

i rarely comment, but i just wanted to say congrats on the big move! so excited to hear about this new chapter in your life! and if you ever need any LA food/activity/etc recs, i’m a los-angeles-lifer :)

24 Shannon, Tropical Eats July 16, 2012 at 10:07 pm

congrats!!

big city. big dreams.

25 Sarah B. July 16, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Yay-yuh! Go get ‘em!!

26 Purely Twins July 16, 2012 at 10:46 pm

SQUEAL!!! we are so excited and happy for you. You will do great. Cannot wait to read about your adventures.

27 Caitlin @ livelovenyc July 16, 2012 at 11:00 pm

so exciting! congrats :)

28 Dorothy July 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm

you’re such an inspiration :’) you’ll do amazing things kailey!

29 Sarah July 16, 2012 at 11:40 pm

That. A. Girl. I am so proud of you, Kale Chips.

(PS We will be visiting Cali in the fall. Expect to see my face.)

30 C July 17, 2012 at 12:01 am

Crying cos you don’t live in LA & are not a model/actress/singer/famous…ugh.

31 erica July 17, 2012 at 12:21 am

i get your point, but i think it’s unrealistic to expect people to never complain about things like jobs and living situations, even when they are fortunate enough to have a paycheck and a roof over their heads. recognizing your privilege and aspiring to change/reach personal goals are not mutually exclusive.

32 Emily July 17, 2012 at 1:38 am

This post put the biggest smile on my face. I’m SO proud of you and excited about everything that you’re going to experience here in LA. I know there are wonderful things in your future. You’re talented, passionate, and dedicated…exactly what being successful requires. <3

Plus, we'll actually get to meet one another! Can't wait.

33 jmichelle July 17, 2012 at 6:06 am

Congratulations! You are very brave and inspiring. Please continue to write your blog — yes?

34 snackface July 17, 2012 at 10:20 am

jmichelle- Thank you! Of course I’ll continue blogging. In fact, I hope to blog even more now! :)

35 Janneke July 17, 2012 at 7:32 am

Oh I am so excited for you! Way to go, girl, a move like that takes some guts and I am confident you can achieve all your goals! Good luck to you and I can’t wait to read about your adventures!

36 Sarah July 17, 2012 at 9:24 am

AHHHH jealous that you actually have the balls to make the big move! I’m a WI girl and ever since graduating college, I’ve been trying my hardest to get a job in a bigger city (I live right outside Milwaukee, so I’m not from someplace supperrr tiny). It has been frustrating to say the least. I just want to dive in head first, but my parents constantly pull me back when they bring up the expense to move, to live, to eat, to enjoy myself etc etc. Realistic? Yes. Fun, adventurous and exciting? Not so much. I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting and CRYING (like normal human beings do) over my current situation..even though I know I’m blessed to have a job and a family who is willing to still let me live with them…….I always say, I’m a single, 24 yr old woman who will never have the chance to just pick up and move once I settle down and have a hubby and family (if that’s in the cards). There most likely won’t be another opportunity for me to live my life 100% just for me. So I say, HELL YES to you. Way to suck it up and make a change. Even if things don’t play out as you imagine, who cares…atleast you tried. ENJOY!!!! :)

37 Carolyn @HealthKitten.com July 17, 2012 at 10:48 am

I love it!

Sometimes people are born/live in the wrong spot…you’re going to kick butt in LA! Congrats!

38 Tamar July 17, 2012 at 11:14 am

Congratulations! I packed up and moved to Cali once. I don’t live there anymore, but the whole state has so much to offer. So excited to hear about it! I hope you road trip out there, because seeing the whole giant western U.S. up close is quite an experience. And then blog about it!

39 Erin July 17, 2012 at 11:21 am

Best of luck in your new adventure! I moved to Chicago after college not knowing a single person. It ended up being the best decision I ever made. I love my life in the city and I just got engaged to a great guy. Transitioning to a new place can be rough but it’s so worth it–I know you’ll do great things!

40 Jennifer July 17, 2012 at 11:49 am

I know it’s cliche when people say that you only get one life. But my dad died when he was way too young, and that made me realize it really is true. I’m glad you’ve discovered it, too. My goal in life is simple: be happy. If I’m not happy, I do what I can to change it. It sounds like you are doing the same and I’m so happy to hear it. I can’t wait to hear about your upcoming adventures. Best of luck in LA!!!

41 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola July 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Omigosh I’m so excited for you!! This is definitely a huge change and I’m so impressed that you are making the big move to following your dreams- that’s definitely a hard one, but you will be great! Where in LA are you going to live?? (If you need any suggestions, I used to live there so I’m happy to pass them along!)

42 Betsy July 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hey Kailey,
I think it’s great that you’re moving to LA! I did a similar thing in June- quit my full-time job and drove across country from New England to Cali! I’m actually returning to my home state at the end of August to finish my last year of school, but I fully plan on coming back ASAP. It is AMAZING here! I’m living in one of the beach cities right now and I couldn’t be happier. Being just outside of LA is so great- there is always something to do. SoCal is a dream, I could really go on forever about how lovely it is here, but you will soon experience it all for yourself!
Best of luck! Maybe I’ll see you out one night!

43 Brigid July 17, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I made the move from Oklahoma to LA with my (now) husband almost a year ago. I’m in nonprofit, but he’s an actor/filmmaker. Let me know if you have questions or just want support. It’s hard to start over, but if it’s your dream, there is no time like the present.

44 lynn @ the actor's diet July 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm

see ya soon, dear.

45 E.S. July 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Best of luck to you in LA! I moved to Los Angeles right after graduating from Ohio U, and it was the best decision I’ve ever made. You’re gonna love it!

46 Gina G July 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Kailey I am beyond ecstatic for you!!! I can’t even put it into words how happy I am for you. You truly inspire me and I mean it from the bottom of my heart.<3

47 Lisa July 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

You said it all in the last line. To be happy and and spend doing your days filled with things you love. That’s exactly what I want, and right now I am not so happy with where I am in life. Its time I let go of the need that being successful = lots of money. I need to pursue my passions, even if this means I won’t make as much money. I don’t want to suffer through a miserable job I hate, but enjoy going to work each day with positivity and spreading love for what I am doing. You are doing what will make you happy and that is the best choice! Good for you!

48 glidingcalm July 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm

best of luck!!!!! hope you have an incredible adventure!!

49 Sherry July 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’m so excited and happy for you! Can’t wait to see what your next chapter has in store for you. Wish you nothing but the best!

50 tifferz July 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

WELCOME TO MY HOMETOWN! but i live in asia now so i won’t be running into you anytime soon, haha >.<

51 snackface July 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Booooo! Maybe eventually?!

52 Jenn (eating bender) July 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

You’re amazing, Kailey! So excited for you and what’s up next. Congratulations on making the leap and best of luck with the move today!

53 snackface July 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Thank you, sweets! I love that bloggers like you and I have been able to watch each other’s lives change over the course of three-plus years. Too cool.

54 Jennifer (take the day off) July 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I’m WAY late on commenting on this one–I’ve meant to for weeks now! I just wanted to say that I am so excited for you and your decision to move to LA. What an unbelievably brave decision that I’m sure will be a real adventure. I know it is hard to leave the comfortable and familiar, but it sounds like exciting (and better!) things are in store. I can’t wait to hear about all your escapades out there! Well done.

55 TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] July 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

good for you girl! I really admire the guts it takes to do that! Best of luck and I can’t wait to read about all your success! <3

56 Michelle @ Fit Girl Blogs August 14, 2012 at 6:03 am

I’ve read your blog on and off for years. Came to it today after not visiting in a while, and was so happy to see all the news about LA. Sounds like an exciting and thrilling new chapter! I wish you the best of luck on the West coast. :)