Instagram, Explained

by snackface on August 2, 2012 · 7 comments

I love being an observer through Instagram. Great pictures, very few words and almost no context. That’s what makes it wonderful. But it always stokes my curiosity: What’s happening beyond the image?

Context: Tuesday morning, after our first night in our apartment, we trotted to Sweet Lady Jane for brunch. We live in an extremely walkable area, which is a welcome change after living in the ‘burbs for…ever. This French press coffee was divine. And I can’t get over the paper doilies.

Context: I stared at the cakes but ordered potato leek soup and a rosemary roll instead. I’ve been back one time since the first visit and ordered soup again. One day, I’ll get around to noshing on cake.

Context: Also on Tuesday, I got ready for open calls for agencies. We learned this the last time we were in LA: When they say wear minimal to no makeup, they mean it. Thus, the blown-dry hair and makeup-free face. And tan lines, a HUGE no-no. It ended up being futile; we were too commercial for the two agencies we visited. I was not surprised whatsoever! Onto the next!

Context: Definitely added some face for nighttime. All natural tones and a little metallic on the eyes. Like always.

Context: I captioned this “creepin” on Instagram. That’s really all there is to it. Just being as creepy as possible with red eye.

Context: The one and only Gucci Mane made a brief onstage appearance on Tuesday night at Bootsy Bellows. As a hip-hop fanatic, you all know I was loving this. I could not stop cracking up. I think he rapped a total of 50 words, but that was plenty. #itsguccitime

I’m off for more adventures!

1 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie August 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Haha. I started a post last night on this that I’m going to publish tonight, how funny! :)

2 Kaila @healthyhelperblog August 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Gucci Mane was in Buffalo a few weeks ago and got into a fight with one of my friends….haha! Just a fun little tidbit! Small world :)

3 Emily August 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I love following your instagram. So fun!
You’re sooo right. They definitely mean it when they say “little to no makeup”. They want to see a clean slate so they know what they have to work with. And I’ve been told I’m too commercial by sooo many modeling agencies as well. It’s frustrating, but I know it won’t take long for you to find someone who loves your look!
Sending you lots of luck!

4 Sara K August 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm

You saw Gucci Mane?!!! I went to a Meek Mill concert two weeks ago, but really that is nowhere as cool. As one of the two blackberry users left in the universe, sadly I do not have instagram, but I do admit I envy all of you who do.

5 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 3, 2012 at 12:46 am

BRRRR!

excuse me, did we just become best friends? Haha! The State vs Radric Davis was part of my morning routine. This is until I noticed that when I listened to Gucci while driving I become more agressive than usual. Enter: Common, Mos Def, Erykah, Talib, etc, to soothe my road rage. :)

What types of auditions are you doing? Being “too commercial” is not always a bad thing.

6 jmichelle August 3, 2012 at 5:59 am

You use the term “we”. Who is this other party? :) Is this a roommate? A new guy? A new gal pal? Looks like you are having a wonderful time so far and have settled right in to California living.

7 Marcie August 3, 2012 at 10:47 am

We are still following you down here in Atlanta. Couldn’t be happier for you, rooting for you too!!!