Things That Are True

by snackface on August 8, 2012 · 24 comments

I PROMISE that as soon as I set up wi-fi in the apartment, blog posts will appear on this little space more frequently. Bear with me through this time of enormous change!

OK, that aside, here is a brief list of things that are true of my current life in LA:

1. I have an apartment, a car on its way and a job (!!!!). What don’t I have? Wi-fi, a fridge, a bed, furniture in general. Shockingly, I’m kind of OK with it. For now.

2. The social scene here makes you question why Monday ever once meant staying in and doing your laundry. Every day is full of opportunity for something brand new. You absolutely never know what can happen in a day.

3. Empty dishwashers make for pretty decent makeshift iceboxes. Let’s call this being resourceful, not cheap.

4. Libraries are heaven. I visit the local library almost once a day. So maybe it’s because I need internet, but it’s really a lovely space. And free books, CDs and DVDs? Yes, please.

5. My rental car has been a second home, a U-Haul, a dressing room and more. The Corolla doesn’t mess around.

6. I need to set up a separate savings account for parking.

7. We may only have paper napkins and plastic utensils, but they are from Nordstrom and Starbucks, OK?

8. It has been sunny and gorgeous every single day I’ve been here. I am not used to predictability in weather. Cincinnati is all OVA the place.

9. Girls talk, but boys really talk too.

10. I have to be that cliché chick who throws this out there, but I had this poster in a jpeg on my desktop for over a year. I read it every day. I stopped reading it when I started living it. Most importantly, “If you don’t like something, change it.” You have to believe me when I say you have that power. For a long time I never thought I did, and then I knew I couldn’t take the way I felt anymore. I couldn’t explain my unhappiness, and I couldn’t explain what exactly I wanted. But I started some endings, made a few plans and just changed my life. I can’t even say it’s been terrifying. Why? Because it’s felt so, so right.

1 Rebecca August 8, 2012 at 9:33 pm

You beautiful, inspring lady. Keep doing what you’re doing – that’s more of a cheer than a demand/request, because I know you will!

2 Danielle August 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Couldn’t be happier for you. xo

3 em @ simplypresent August 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I’m entering that phase of my life as well! Exciting and scary all at once – such a range of emotions! I LOVE that poster. I actually have it saved on my Pinterest.

4 meg August 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm

great post. So very happy for you :)

5 Anita August 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Kailey, you have honestly inspired me to make a big change with your move to California. I think I finally understand what everyone says when they say to change something if you don’t like it. If you don’t believe in yourself, it will never happen and I think I only figured that out now! I have some changes to make, now is the time for me to do it. Thanks for making me realize that.

6 Evin August 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Kailey, I have been following your blog for a year now and this is my first comment. I felt I needed to comment because I admire your courage. I am 25 and so far three years into the career I worked for throughout high school and college. I thought I knew what wanted…but apparently I had it all wrong. Never have I been so unsure of myself or my future in my life. I know I will figure it out I just have to “change something.” Once I’m able I’ll take that jump off the deep end…it’s just finding the courage to jump. Thank you for your post.

7 jcd August 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hey Kailey!
Are you in Santa Monica? I’ve been your blog reader for awhile and I “met” you at Food Festival last year but didn’t have the courage to talk to you, lol. (You were busy when I saw you)

I would love to get together for lunch or dinner or whatever time for food :) Since we are both foodies and snackies :)

Let me know when you have the time. Thanks! I’m in the Santa Monica area btw :)

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

You don’t have a fridge yet? That’s gotta be making life difficult.

But you DO have a job – that’s fantastic!

9 Emily August 9, 2012 at 12:36 am

SO happy for you. It sounds like things are going amazing and I can’t wait to hear more when you get your wifi set up- especially about the job! All of the craziness right now is just part of the adventure and, frankly, it’s half the fun. (:
Let me know when things settle down and we’ll definitely have to plan a lunch or coffee-date!

10 Kelsey August 9, 2012 at 12:57 am

This is so inspirational. I love it!

11 Evan August 9, 2012 at 8:14 am

Couldn’t be happier for you!!!! And yes, agreed about the Monday thing. In a city, Monday night is for pros, the weekends are for amateurs :)

12 Heather @ For the Love of Kale August 9, 2012 at 9:39 am

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN. I’m so happy for you, Kailey! You’re livin’ the dream and inspiring so many of us to do the same> #jadorelavie indeed!!!!

13 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie August 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you’re staying positive and updated, way to go!

14 katecooks August 9, 2012 at 11:57 am

i felt the same way when i moved to CA! what was the worst that could happen? i could hate it and move back home? i have so many friends who complain about where they live ALL THE TIME. why don’t they move? sure, it’s a hassle but moving is totally temporary. it’s one of the few things in life that you really do have the power to change!

15 Sara August 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I totally agree with your last statement…and that poster is GREAT! idk why I’ve never read it before. Your move and attitude are really inspiring! I think so many people can be unhappy or are just waiting for “something exciting to happen” when really you can make exciting things happen for yourself.
Can’t wait to see more!

16 Marlon @MeInTheBalance August 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

Hey Kailey! Great post and congrats on the job! I’m so happy for you! Don’t hesitate to call if you guys need anything! :)

17 Francisco Castro August 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hello Kailey. I had bookmarked your blog a while back, but it got lost in the 100+ bookmarks I had. I’ve since done some bookmark cleaning up, and rediscovered the link to here.

Glad to know that you are doing fine. I’ll reserve saying, “You’re doing well.” for when you have non-plastic spoons and forks. :-) I’m sure you’ll achieve metal cutlery status in no time.

In the meantime, I just wanted to drop a note, say “Hi”, wish you well, and perhaps, I’ll spring for some Starbucks for you two ladies.

Have a great weekend!

18 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries August 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm

We have that poster hanging in our place! Love it!

19 Maddy August 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Amen #10! Sometimes you just gotta go for it.

20 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Getting situated always takes time. Love the idea of you using your dishwasher haha, I can only imagine.

LA is a crazy city, crazy people,and crazy things to do. I hope you continue to love it :)

21 lynne @lgsmash August 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm

cheers to you, kailey! i took a risk and moved to denver from cincinnati with no job, no friends – it was the best choice i’ve ever made! like you said – it’s not scary when it’s the right thing. and when you’re confident that you’ve got what it takes – and it sounds like you do! looking forward to following your new adventures!

22 Aaron Snyder August 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

First of all, I found your blog by google-image searching athens ohio. I then recognized my friend Hannah in one of your pictures and ended up on this post.

First off, if we didn’t meet at prime time with hannah already. I’m aaron! Second, your blog is totally amusing. Great job. Third: 3. “Empty dishwashers make for pretty decent makeshift iceboxes. Let’s call this being resourceful, not cheap.” <– that's priceless.

rock on, and good luck with the new job!

23 snackface August 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm

AARON, WHAT?!!! There’s a good chance we’ve met before! I was always at Primetime…for two too many years after graduation, too. Thanks for checking out the blog AND for commenting! #bobcatsforlife

24 Aaron Snyder August 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm