Four Weeks

by snackface on August 14, 2012 · 20 comments

Exactly four weeks ago today, I wrapped up my last day at my first post-college job. And today, I start a brand new job with a thriving, growing company. That it’s been a mere four weeks blows my mind. I feel as though I have a whole new life now. The people I’ve met, the connections I’ve made, the new relationships I’ve formed— I am astonished.

Life has been a treat lately. Every single day is an adventure filled with new places to explore and friends to be made. (And let’s be real— mistakes to be made, too.) Part of me thinks this has come all too easily. But I know this is what I’ve worked for and wanted my whole life.

There’s a current that’s carried me since the day I decided I was going to move. Call the current drive; call it perfect alignment. I trusted it, though, and thank god I did. I talked to my mom about this yesterday as I was ellipticizing in my new-to-me West Hollywood neighborhood gym. I said, “I’ve only been happier and happier since I took control.” But it’s strange; I haven’t exactly tried to control everything.

I’ve just had immense faith in my instinct. I tried to ignore what it was telling me for too long, so choosing to listen to no one but myself was my regaining control of myself and my life. But since that moment, I kind of let go. I put myself in a situation in which I had no other option but to figure it out. And figure it out, I did.

Four weeks ago, I said goodbye to the coworkers I’d grown to love immensely. Three weeks ago, I packed two huge suitcases and one carry-on and flew to Los Angeles. Two weeks ago, I signed a lease for my very first apartment. One week ago, I received a job offer. This week, I start a new job that I am stoked about and grateful for.

A lot has changed, but I’ve never felt more “me.” I am happy and excited about life. That’s all I’ve ever wanted, and now I feel that way every day.

P.S. I know these journal-style posts can be drab or draining, but my wi-fi is still rocky. I have tons of restaurant + social life + crazy stories to share once I get wi-fi nailed down!

1 Jae August 14, 2012 at 3:34 am

Yay! look fwd to reading more:)

2 Sarah B. August 14, 2012 at 7:34 am

Glad you hit the ground runnin’ in L.A. and haven’t looked back since! Can’t wait to hear more about your day-to-day life! One of my best friends from grade school moved to L.A. last week for law school — after spending nearly two nears in a desolate town in Alaska. Talk about a 180! I passed her a link to your blog so she can follow along since you’re a “newbie” to the city as well. =]

3 Jenn August 14, 2012 at 8:23 am

Kailey-

I feel as though this new path in your life is just like the one I need to take in about 9 monthes. I too have the Cali-bug dream and I want to ever pursue it. You are convincing me more and more that taking control and following your dream is what life is all about because people who want to drag that down however much you may love them, need to love your dream too. Keep rocking it, and I’ll keep convincing myself to break free.

GOOD LUCK! at the new j.o.b. too ;)

xo

4 kaila August 14, 2012 at 8:42 am

Congrats girl! New jobs are always so exciting! When are we going to find out what it is?! ;)

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 14, 2012 at 8:47 am

Good for you for listening to your instincts – and congrats on the job!

6 Danielle August 14, 2012 at 10:03 am

As I embark on my next faith-fueled adventure, reading something like this is so very comforting. Congrats on everything, darling. Good luck on your first day!

7 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie August 14, 2012 at 10:19 am

This is so inspiring! I started writing a post yesterday in the form of a letter I’d write to my 20 year old self and I have to say, I wish I’d been as brave and adventurous as you are!!!

8 Purelytwins August 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm

awesome! you go girl! you are so inspiring! good luck with everything.

9 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling August 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

So happy for you<3 Can't wait to hear more about the job!

10 Caitlin August 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Best of luck girlfriend — muah! Hope to see your pretty face in a magazine soon….or at OU’s Homecoming in October :)

11 Jaclyn @ JustJac! August 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm

awesome! where are you working?!

12 Emily August 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I’m SO happy for you! You’re doing something that most people only dream about. Picking up your life and making such a drastic change is scary (and things won’t always go as planned), but the payoff will be worth it. And I can’t believe you were able to get a job already- that’s amazing! Congratulations. (:

What gym in WeHo did you get a membership at?? I work out over there too!

13 Sara K August 15, 2012 at 9:36 am

Congratulations! What an exciting change of course, and it’s only the beginning :) Looking forward to hearing your reflections after your first day at work!

14 Heather @ For the Love of Kale August 16, 2012 at 10:13 am

So happy for you, Kailey! Can’t wait to read more, babe. xoxoxo

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm

It sounds like you definitely made the right decision – I’m so happy for you!

16 Conni August 16, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I’m so immensely excited for this new life you created. Watching you literally grab life by the balls and succeed is hella inspiring and something I hope to do in my next 3 years of university and into the big bad real world. Please continue to just do the damn thing because I love reading about it. Peace out girl scout. :)

17 Gina G August 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I know I keep saying the same-ish thing, but Kailey I’m so so happy for you! Congrats again! :)

18 Amber August 20, 2012 at 7:48 am

I absolutely love this post, you’re doing it girl – you’re living it!!
So many people talk about it, fantasize, dream – and you’re out there doing it.

You inspire me :)

19 Sherry August 22, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Congrats! You deserve everything that’s come your way. So exciting to read about this new chapter in your life. I’m so happy for you.

20 Sara August 24, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Yay! Regular blogging to resume soon! Looks like LA has been nothing less than amazing. Hope work is as fun as your last job seemed to be, and have a great weekend!