September

by snackface on September 4, 2012 · 24 comments

It’s time. Time to start blogging regularly again. Time to be a little bolder, brighter, smarter. Time to reconnect with my blogging peeps. I have had a crazy, life-changing summer, and I couldn’t be happier. Finally, I’m ready to write about it. “It” being life now.

I’ve been doing a lot of this:

Sunday funday? Every day funday.

And not enough of this:

Pumping iron, eating right.

I have been consistent in self-photography, though. Some things never change.

August was a month of enormous change and endless celebration. Dare I even say it was my favorite month ever. I have no idea what September has in store for me, but I would like to start doing more #me things. Things like working out regularly, eating better (FINALLY getting a fridge on Wednesday), reading more, writing more and blogging consistently.

The Scorpio in me needs time to sit, think and reflect, and I haven’t given myself that time until this weekend. Today, I had a long Skype chat with the whole family. The first thing my grandmother said was, “Looks like you’re not putting on weight! That’s good!” Hysterical. Seeing the faces of my family absolutely made my week. Shortly after the Skype convo, I received a text from my best friend Muffin saying that she is coming to visit in October. After floating for a month, I needed that family time and soon-to-be BFF time to ground me.

My hope for September is that I feel bolder, brighter, smarter by the end of it. Thanks to 17 years of schooling, September has always felt like the start of a new year. It probably always will for me. Summer 2012, you’ve been good to me. Fall 2012, let’s do this.

To kick off September, I’m reading and re-reading my favorite poem. I first read it in 2009; what it meant to me then versus how I interpret it now has evolved immensely. L.O.V.E. it.

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other’s welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

— “Love After Love” by Derek Walcott

I would love to know what your goals for September or hopes for the new school year (yes, I still miss college, OK?) are!

1 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) September 4, 2012 at 4:23 am

Great post! Good luck with September – hope it’s a wonderful month for you!

My goals for September = do well in my first month of grad school and place well in my upcoming ballroom dance competition (only 3 weeks away!).

2 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:57 am

Thanks, Liz! Oh my gosh, best of luck in grad school! I loved your FB post the other day, by the way. Enormous props and congratulations on taking control of your health and your life. It looks like you’re thriving, my love!

3 Evan September 4, 2012 at 8:31 am

This makes me so effing happy. When you move to a city (new or familiar), you need to adjust and run free for a little, then refocus once you feel like you can. Otherwise, you miss out on some awesome opportunities. My favorite author, Milan Kundera, writes that “Chance and chance alone has a message for us. Everything that occurs out of necessity, everything expected, repeated day in and day out, is mute,” and it’s one of my favorite quotes in The Unbearable Lightness of being. Whenever I embrace chance and do something out of the ordinary, something fantastic or bad or “meh” happens that teaches me about life and myself – I think that’s what you’ve been experiencing, riding the waves of chance. And that’s where LIFE happens! :)

My plans for September? Not planning. Ha. Except working my a$$ off. Trying to get that promotion!

4 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:56 am

You GET THAT promotion! You will. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it WILL happen for you. Your drive and determination inspires me. Now come to LA, OK?!

5 Sara K September 4, 2012 at 8:52 am

Oh mannn the Clicquot! I totally feel ya, since I turned 23 at the beginning of August I’ve been on an unintentional ‘responsible’ streak (which really means lessening the mimosa-content of Sunday fundays/NOT going out for drinks every weekday/starting up a Corepower hot yoga habit/Sleeping at decent hours/being adulty)- and I have to say my body feels so much better. I even treated myself to an AMAZING deep tissue massage last weekend (I figured the price counteracted the Clicquot I haven’t been sippin on) ;)> Good to see ya back!

6 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:54 am

OK, I need to take a page out of your book, Miss Sara. How’d ya do it?

7 Kellie @ Compelled To Do So September 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

Goal: Make the start of my senior year at OU absolutely AMAZING.

… and to not go into a manic depression because I have to leave this adult playground in May.

P.S. Keep posting! Your life inspires me.

8 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:53 am

Kellie, aren’t you the sweetest?! Ahhhh have an incredible senior year! I still miss OU constantly, and my senior year was definitely the best. Just watch out for April and May. They can be the saddest and happiest months all at the same time. But mostly, just have FUN!

9 Yellow Haired Girl September 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

Loved this post! I miss college too ;) I’m going to try and be an adult this month. My Sunday Funday (cough, everyday Funday) really needs to slowwww down.

10 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:51 am

Feel you, girl! I mean, we don’t have to be more adult…just…more…responsible? Aware? Haha I don’t even know. Adult sounds boring.

11 Jessica September 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

I love this poem. I have graduated from university this month and moved into journalism and technical writing with the speed of lightening. You are at a very relatable place right now and I wish you the very best. xo

12 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:47 am

I wish you the very best as well, Jessica!

13 Mary September 4, 2012 at 11:16 am

I still miss college too! I graduated in May 2011 and labor day weekend still makes me nostalgic for moving into my apartment, first weekend going out with the roomies, that first day of classes walking around and seeing campus come alive again. ::sigh::

14 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:49 am

Mary, there’s something about that excitement and newness mixed with familiarity that is so hard to find anywhere else. What I miss most is having all my friends within walking distance!

15 Amanda September 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I read that poem freshman year of college in an art class, and I fell in love with it, too. I’m glad to hear you’re doing so well! I just graduated college, so my summer has been a lot of transition as well, and it’s so so so comforting to see someone thriving after taking a huge leap of faith. I hope I’ll be doing the same thing soon =) I’m really excited to read more about your journeys in LA!

16 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:44 am

Amanda, I think one of the hardest times in my life– the most challenging– was right after graduating college. It’s a very bizarre, challenging transition and it sounds like you’re handling it gracefully and optimistically. Go you! All I can say is: Go after exactly what you want. That journey in going after it will be worth it alone.

17 Louise September 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yayy! This is so exciting, I cannot wait to hear more about your jazzy LA life! My hope for September is diamonds (in any form, i’m not picky) and ryan gosling on my doorstep. I aim high….and love to set myself up for disappointment apparently.

p.s love the muscle flex gym shot, got mad skills. I think we need more ‘gun show’ pictures in the world x

18 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:42 am

Louise, your comment actually made me laugh out loud because HELL YEAH, AIM HIGH! I would not mind diamonds and Ryan Gosling in September (or any other time), either. Cheers to a successful September and more gun show pictures!

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 4, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I saw kids going back to school today and it really hit me how much I miss being in school. I took a few years off after graduating to sort through a few life issues and figure out what direction I want to go in, and now I think I finally have it more-or-less figured out, so I’m really, REALLY, hoping that next September will have me back in the classroom. As for this one, I’m just going to focus more and being present, appreciating the moment instead of constantly chasing the next one, and just… being, I guess? :)

20 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:40 am

Amanda, super chill, important goals! I love that. It’s quiet, personal ambition, and I believe it’s so important. I have a tendency to always be planning or wondering what’s next. But right now is pretty damn good, you know?

21 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I’m starting school again this year – In a week I’m officially a grad student! Definitely a big change for me. I’m hoping to get off to a great start.

22 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:39 am

Sam, that’s huge! Congratulations and best of luck in grad school! I still don’t know if I could ever do it. (But maybe!)

23 Brigid September 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Glad you’re settling in (and that you’ll have a fridge soon)! My September goals are to spend more time on the happy and less on the things that make me anxious. That means making art, running, cooking, and finding the “play” at work. It’s also my birthday month (Monday!), so I want to have plenty of fun and not obsess too much about being in my late 20s.

24 snackface September 5, 2012 at 2:38 am

Brigid, I dig your goals for September! Spending “more time on the happy” is such a great way to put it. Happy birthday month! Late 20s are still your 20s! ;)