Eating Well

by snackface on September 5, 2012 · 22 comments

“Are you eating?”

This is the question my mother has asked me consistently starting the moment I moved to LA. I don’t blame her. LA— land of obsession and an odd ideal of beauty— can have an impact on a gal. Especially when one gal in particular is called out on being “corn fed” or, my personal favorite, “pleasantly plump.” Conversely, that gal has outright been told her appearance is the opposite of those. Don’t even get me started on the number of times a day height is the topic of discussion.

LA is a strange place in which people feel they can openly comment about another’s body. To me, it’s mostly hilarious. And weird. Yeah, definitely still weird.

Oddly enough, in such an image-driven city, I’ve been eating extremely well. Luxuriously, even. Most of it is due to the fact we’ve been fridge-less. Wednesday, September 5, is a huge day, my friends. Our fridge arrives. Greek yogurt, cartons of hummus, eggs, cucumbers, greens, grapes, berries, almond milk— these are the foods I daydream about. And ice! Ice! Such a commodity.

But let’s take a look at the collage (I have a slight obsession with collages right now). That’s what my eats have been like lately, and it’s been fabulous. In detail (from right to left):

1. Tuna niçoise salad with potato leek soup from The Mercantile.

2. Plain Quaker quick oats with peanut butter and strawberry jelly from my kitch!

3. Trio of baba ghanouj, tapenade and hummus with pita from Ulysses Voyage at The Grove.

4. Some pretty, delicious drink from Laurel Hardware.

5. Egg and pork chop from Laurel Hardware (I didn’t even think I liked pork chops prior to this).

6. Hummus plate from the French Quarter Market (whose site has really sexy music that plays automatically…always a fun treat).

7. Fruit, granola and yogurt plate from Laurel Hardware (obviously someone has found a favorite place).

8. The Gangster from…this is getting embarrassing.

9. Chicken, brown rice and california roll bowl from a little hole in the wall.

10. Salad from Whole Foods (multiply this by 20).

11. All Hail Kale salad from Veggie Grill (the only kale salad I crave).

Question: If you didn’t have a fridge, what perishable food would you miss the most?

1 Danielle September 5, 2012 at 5:36 am

A: I’d definitely miss yogurt and hummus most! And I’d probably get in the habit of buying fresh fruit daily, if possible.

Los Angeles looks delicious, by the freaking way. My current kitchen challenge is feeding myself well with only a hot plate, microwave, and electric kettle. Oh, Parisian apartments ;).

2 snackface September 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Danielle, you’re in Paris! Amazing! Sounds like a fun little challenge to have. Hot plates honestly terrify me. Looking forward to following along in your adventures! xo

3 Stephanie September 5, 2012 at 6:56 am

I would miss ice cream the most, let’s be honest here.

4 Jil September 5, 2012 at 7:34 am

Wait, someone’s actually called you “pleasantly plump”??? Don’t even wanna know what they’d say to me.

5 snackface September 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Jil, YES! Someone called me that. Thank god I know what feels right for my body. The person it came from is obsessed with appearance and working out like a maniac. No thanks!

6 Jil September 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Craziness!! Props to you for having such a good head on your shoulders. More women need/could benefit from that mindset!

7 Sarah B. September 5, 2012 at 8:24 am

Hummus! Preferably of the roasted garlic variety. My salt tooth craves it. I’d definitely miss blueberries and strawberries, too. I’m not much of a yogurt gal, but I’ve been mixing it into oatmeal lately and it’s making the texture super creamy.

Yay for fridge arrival today!

8 Faith @ For the Health of It September 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

Cheese, for sure. I’d go NUTS without it!

9 Kelsey September 5, 2012 at 10:44 am

those looks like some amazing eats right there!

oh gosh, I couldn’t go very long without my soy milk. I use i all the time!

happy fridge day:)

10 Hannah September 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

Congrats on the fridge! Big day. But I wouldn’t complain if I were lucky enough to eat like you…

My fridge non-negotiables: skim milk, FRUIT, ditto on hummus (salsa too), eggs…I could go on…

11 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine September 5, 2012 at 11:42 am

I had the All Hail Kail Salad from the Veggie Grill this weekend and I think I am hooked. That thing is so dang good! If I didn’t have a fridge I think I would miss eggs on my avocado toast the most. I can’t believe you have gone so long without a fridge! But hey, at least it is a good excuse to explore all the LA Restaurants!

12 jordan @ thedancingdonut September 5, 2012 at 12:35 pm

i SO remember not having a fridge when i moved here – it was the weirdest!!! we also didn’t have our stove/oven up and running yet, but we did have a microwave and i remember having lots of microwaveable pasta. surprisingly tasty! haha

i think the food i missed the most was probably just milk. i use it in my coffee and oatmeal every morning and it was so hard to work around that. eggs, veggie burgers, and ice were greatly missed, too!

13 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’m not honestly sure how long I’d last without a fridge… No Greek yogurt? No cheese? No milk? No chicken? No cold fruits and crisp veggies? Eek. It’d be rough for sure.

14 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie September 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I can’t imagine my life without veggies & hummus daily after walking home from work, I would die! I also keep roughly half a dozen water bottles in the fridge at all times so I can always grab a cold one… Congrats on the future fridge!

15 Brigid September 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

This is probably sad, but I need a fridge for one very important reason: LEFTOVERS. I can’t survive without them!

And I just wanted to assure you that LA really isn’t that looks-obsessed outside of the entertainment industry. I know you want to do the modeling thing, so obviously your body will be a frequent topic of conversation, but in my part of LA (philanthropy/social services), I feel zero pressure to look a certain way. In fact, my Southern(ish) past definitely demanded more in terms of makeup/fashion than my LA life does. I say that as a reassurance, not a criticism.

16 Elisse September 6, 2012 at 12:18 am

Probably my fridge door FULL of condiments. That would be the worst to live without. I can’t even imagine it. So glad you’re getting a fridge. I find that I eat wonderfully in LA, especially if you can make the happy hours. The Hudson has one of the best, along with the Fat Dog and St. Felix. Can’t wait to try Laurel Hardware!
-Elisse

17 Heather @ For the Love of Kale September 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

MY GIRRRRL IS BACK! :-D

I’m stoked for you. Pleasantly plump? You’re right – that is HYSTERICAL. Silly peeps. I’m so excited to hear about your journey, woman. xoxo

18 Purelytwins September 6, 2012 at 10:48 am

we would miss our eggs, yogurt and our veggies :)
yay for getting a fridge!

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Without a fridge, I’d be missing eggs, chicken and cottage cheese. Clearly a protein-loving girl right here. :-)

20 Emily September 7, 2012 at 1:06 am

Seriously, how have I not run into you yet? We’re always at the same places! Ulysses Voyage, Laurel Hardware, Veggie Grill…you’ve already discovered most of my favorite restaurants.

And I knew you’d be hooked on the All Hail Kale! Now you understand my addiction. (:

21 lynn @ the actor's diet September 8, 2012 at 1:52 am

all hail kale is one of my favorites too – but the best kale salad in LA is m cafe’s!

22 Melissa September 10, 2012 at 8:17 am

I knew i recognized veggie grill! Their stuff is so good!