Stocked

by snackface on September 17, 2012 · 21 comments

Once upon a time, we used a dishwasher as a means to keep food cool. (Definitely cool, not cold.)At first it was hilarious, interesting— a fun challenge. And then it became obnoxious. We grew tired of feeling like squatters in our own apartment.

One Sunday, we beelined to the back left corner of Best Buy on Santa Monica and La Brea. We stopped for no one. Except sweet Nick, who helped us select the most affordable (cheapest) option. Nick took all my information. I gave him my housewife’s number for secure delivery while I was at work.

Our lives have changed.

There’s something about a stocked fridge that makes me feel like a real citizen. A decently stocked cabinet doesn’t hurt, either.

Now I have a little more control. I can plan things. I know my food people feel me. No longer is it, “Holy sh!t I’m starving NOW and there’s nothing to eat!” Nope. I can be the grazer, the snackface I’m meant to be. I can make salads in mixing bowls. Today has been the first Sunday in LA that’s actually felt like a Sunday. I didn’t wake up and go to someone’s pool or go bar hopping for a Sunday Funday. I stayed in on Saturday night and did nothing but read. READ. Who am I and what am I becoming?!! Mind you, I was sucked into Babe Walker’s White Girl Problems. I’m almost finished. It’s Clueless 2.0.

Anyway, I woke up feeling refreshed and ready to put my health first. My roomie and I went to the gym, sauna-ed, bought protein powder and PB2 on the way home. Showered. Went to Ralph’s for groceries. Went to Target for supplements and house supplies. Napped. Got my second-ever pedicure. Made my own dinner. Freaked out over a phone blip. Talked to my mom. And now I’m blogging, which I used to do every Sunday night for almost three years.

My life over the past several months has been a bit like the fridge situation. I emptied it and have been working on restocking it. Sometimes you have to start fresh. It feels a little barren or messy in the process, but eventually, it feels fuller than ever. You have more options than you know what to do with. Life is fully stocked now. Full. Happy.

1 Sana September 17, 2012 at 1:43 am

love the almond milk I see in your fridge :)

2 jordan @ thedancingdonut September 17, 2012 at 2:32 am

that last paragraph is everything.

happy you’re feeling more settled here in LA…and nothing beats a weekend to just do you :)

3 Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) September 17, 2012 at 4:57 am

Love the fridge metaphor! So glad you’re life is stocked and happy :)

4 Sarah B. September 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

Congrats on the fridge! Holy crap, being without a fridge might actually be worse than — gasp! — no wireless!

5 Faith @ The Cheap Girl's Guide to Chic September 17, 2012 at 9:00 am

I felt the same way when I was moving to my new apartment. I tried not to buy any new food since I couldn’t really store it, and now that I’m moved in, I feel so lucky to have access to such great fresh foods!

6 alyssa September 17, 2012 at 9:04 am

this made me smile :)

7 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie September 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

Looks like a VERY well stocked fridge – haha – I love it! I agree wholeheartedly about the fridge situation though, after I move that’s definitely the first time I feel like the new place is home.

8 janetha {meals & moves} September 17, 2012 at 10:32 am

PLANT FUSION! <3

9 Gaby September 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I’m a long time reader of your blog and although I’ve never commented before, I really feel like this post deserved a comment. The last paragraph was beautiful and I am happier than ever for you. You have been giving me the courage I need to also go out and pursue my dreams, post breakup and living back home with Momma. You’re a rock star, and although I miss your more frequent posts, I know you’re out there busy creating the life of your dreams.
Congrats on the new fridge!

10 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige September 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Glad you’re stocked again, girl ;)
Our fridges (well, the contents at least!) look a lot alike!

11 Hannah September 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Yeah to your own, homecooked food (and snacks) whenever the hell you want ‘em.

Also, if you like White Girl Problems, check out Dead Stars by Bruce Wagner! Its all about LA culture/the TMZ take over. I thought it was a fascinating, very different read.

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 17, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I can’t even imagine going that long without a fridge. You must be so relieved right now!

13 Tamar September 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I LOVE that analogy. Starting over is so fulfilling.

14 Francisco Castro September 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

One of these days, I’ll tell you how I used a dishwasher to COOK a meal. It was a challenge/bet, and I won.

15 Mari @ Wine Required September 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

I love to have a well-stocked fridge. It seems like things are going well in LA. I love to hear your updates.

16 Angie September 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Nothing like being able to be in control of your food choices!

17 mamaj September 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm

OKAY……It is time for a Mama J comment. I found it extremely amused by the dishwasher fridge and quite proud of the fact that you came up with the idea. I was quite relieved to hear about your new purchase. I have know idea how moms over the centuries have been able to let the chicks finally leave the nest and fly southwest. A DAY WITHOUT SNACKFACE IS LIKE A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE. OXOXOX

18 Kristin @ FoodFash September 25, 2012 at 9:19 pm

My best friend lives in LA and it always amazed me when she or her bf were apartment hunting and fridge-less apartments were an option. Glad you are back to the land of cold food and ice!

19 Katy October 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm

SF – Are you ever going to post again? Tell us what’s up, girl!

20 Melissa October 7, 2012 at 8:48 am

So uuuh, everytime I check in on this page I see a dishwasher with a cup in it. I think it’s time to remove this blog from my ‘favorites’ column. Not really worth checking in on your dishwasher…

21 Erica October 8, 2012 at 9:07 am

I’m assuming no more blogging?? Let us know what’s going on!