A Really Bad Excuse

by snackface on February 11, 2014 · 22 comments

Well, hello, friends! What a surprising and lovely welcome. Thank you! I feel as though I have a million wonderful things to write about, and am so glad to be back and have the forum to do so.

There is one thing right off the bat I can assure won’t be the same this time around: posting frequency. I simply don’t have time to post five days a week. Well, technically I could, if I wanted to spend approximately 15 hours a day on my computer, but that ain’t livin’!

My days are in any arrangement of the following: gym, work for 9-10 hours (on a good day), traffic, work event, client meetings, dinners, passing out. I try to optimize my time, but there just isn’t enough of it! I know you all feel me on this.

The schedule is all thanks to the wonderful field of work I’ve fallen into: PR. I’m a digital account executive at an agency that works with restaurants and the hospitality industry in general. That means I Facebook, tweet and Instagram about food and wine all day. Yes, that’s right. I tweet professionally. There’s much more that goes into it (reports, research, graphic design— I use this term lightly, proving to clients that social media can lead to additional “butts in the seats”, photography, live tweeting events, etc.), but the long and short of it is that I’ve managed to find a job that perfectly marries my love of food with my knowledge of social media. What’s even better is that I absolutely adore and admire everyone I work with.

Ladies who Wine Wednesday together, stay together. Ladies who Wine Wednesday together, stay together.

My journey to my current position (which feels like it was destined from the moment I started SnackFace) has been a long and adventurous one ever since I moved here. When I up and left Ohio, I didn’t have a job lined up. I put myself in a situation where I had no other choice than to figure it out, and I did. Call it luck, call it coincidence, but within a week of moving to Los Angeles, I had both an apartment and a job lined up. Then things got a little messy.

I went from blogging for celebrities for a handful of months, to freelancing for an online celebrity news site, to freelancing as a social media manager at an advertising agency, and then finally, I found a job that felt more like home. I was tireless in my pursuit of finding the perfect position for me, and it’s paid off. It has been an enormous gift. Not only does it feel great to spend your days doing what you usually do as a hobby, but it’s also been inspiring and uplifting to be around smart women who have similar interests and passions.

And by similar interests I mean like eating the entire Taverna Tony menu in Malibu. And by similar interests I mean like eating the entire Taverna Tony menu in Malibu. Is there anything more obnoxious than a picture of shoes? NOPE. Is there anything more obnoxious than a picture of booties? NOPE. With some babez. With some babez.

All of that is to say: I promise to post as often as I can, but you might have to be a little patient with me (MamaJ, Popsicle, I’m looking at you). It’s not a good excuse, but I’m feasting on life so I can then share it.

Until next time!

(P.S. OH MY GOD THIS FORMATTING IS HORRIFIC. I’ll work on that. SORRY.)

1 Matt February 11, 2014 at 10:33 pm

This is so exciting! I’m so proud of you for sticking it out and finding the perfect job for you! I’m not so sure I’d have what it takes to do all the social media work, but I know I’d love all the food! I’ve always wanted to be a chef, but just don’t have the time or money to try a culinary program.

2 Sam @ The Balance Artist February 12, 2014 at 12:58 am

OMG I am insanely jealous of your job….sounds like the perfect mashup of things!! Food, wine, social media, PR, CA…..you go girl!!! When I win the lottery, I will quit my job, take some culinary classes, work for myself full-time….oh dreams.

3 Kaitlyn February 12, 2014 at 6:37 am

Good for you for sticking it out until you found you niche in LA! My best friend from college also moved to LA and it took her about 2 years to start to feel settled. That city can be tough!

4 Missy February 12, 2014 at 10:38 am

Congrats on the job! It is an amazing thing to feel like you are in the exact right place doing the exact perfect thing. I mean… I imagine how it would feel. LOL.
And guuurrl?

Life > blogging.
In fact, when a blogger starts to spend more time blogging than living — it shows. And it’s not cute. (0:

So happy to know you will be sharing with us again, on your schedule, no apologies or excuses necessary.

5 Lily February 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm

“My days are in any arrangement of the following: gym, work for 9-10 hours (on a good day), traffic, work event, client meetings, dinners, passing out. I try to optimize my time, but there just isn’t enough of it!”

Ummm #humblebrag much? If this blog is going to just turn into a platform for you to brag about how glamorous and amazing your life is, I’m out.

6 snackface February 13, 2014 at 1:55 pm

So meetings and traffic and working is glamorous? Ok.

7 Lily February 14, 2014 at 1:38 pm

There has been a definite change in your demeanor from your old blog days. Back then you were down-to-earth, a normal college kid, struggling with recovery from an eating disorder. You were relatable. And I’m sure you still are that person, but your writing style and dramatic ‘return’ to blogging is reminiscent of someone going to their high school reunion to show off how omg busy and important they are, what with all their client meetings and work events, dinners, etc. I know people change and all that, but I just feel like your tone is so different from the original blog that led so many to laugh with you, cry with you, follow you and support you.

8 snackface February 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Lily, first of all, thank you for being a longtime reader. Secondly, thanks for the honest feedback. I do have to say, though, I’ve only posted twice so far! Me saying I am busy with client meetings and work events really isn’t any different from me in college being busy with choir performances, studying and going out with friends. Being able to open up again on my blog might take a little time. More importantly, I feel like I’ve overcome a lot and just want to celebrate life. I don’t think there is anything wrong with acknowledging all that’s great about life now!

9 Tiffany March 30, 2014 at 11:21 am

Goodbye Lily, hello to those of us that enjoy reading about the celebration of life and where you can be if you just take a leap of faith and work hard in our pursuit of happiness.
Cheers to you!
P.S. You look absolutely amazing

10 Phil February 14, 2014 at 1:40 pm

dude, this layout is SO bad. Don’t you work with websites?

11 snackface February 14, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Dude, I know. It’s so old and needs a major update! I do work with websites, but not on the HTML side!

12 charlotte February 15, 2014 at 6:00 pm

It never ceases to fascinate me how people read things purely with the purpose to be negative… The internet is pretty massive, go elsewhere if reading this blog triggers your anger issues! But they won’t because clearly they’ve been patiently waiting for a year or 2 to attack haha.

ok with that said im looking forward to reading more! LA can be such an inspiring place!

13 Alex February 16, 2014 at 5:42 am

WHY THE HATE YA’LL?!?! Scroll ridiculous nonsense in a few comments there. Keep celebrating life, keep not worrying about making the perfect post with correct formatting…etc. The #humblebrag ish is just so silly I can’t even deal. #LOL

14 Sam February 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm

PLEASE do a post on how/why you made the decision to just up and leave your hometown. Did you really not have a job lined up (that’s so brave, btw)?! Did you have a decent amount of money saved up? I’m 23 and thinking about doing the same thing, but I’m nervous. You’re such an inspiration.

15 Bee February 19, 2014 at 12:25 am

I AM SO EXCITED THAT YOU ARE BACK!!!
Your blog was one of the first I ever read, and I always admired your wit and determination to just do it. So many of my fav bloggers have stopped now, and I’m stoked to see you back. I cannot wait to continue reading about life in LA! I feel like it’s the perfect place for you. Haters, be gone. there’s enough people here who are so happy to see you again!

16 Summer February 27, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Bahahah nasty people leavng nasty comments. It’s the interwebs, y’all. I yo don’t like it, find something you do like. My I suggest pictures of puppies? #crowdpleasers

Anyway, I love your voice here- the job sounds awesome, and life looks like a blast.

17 Summer February 27, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Bahahah nasty people leavng nasty comments. It’s the interwebs, y’all. I yo don’t like it, find something you do like. May I suggest pictures of puppies? #crowdpleasers

18 Summer February 27, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Tried to edit, wound up double commenting and finding a second typo. I’m just one of those success stories tonight.

19 Skipper March 15, 2014 at 11:43 am

I dream of a day when criticism in the comments section is met with gratitude, self examination, and possibly change rather than defensiveness, excuses, and the statement “you don’t like it, don’t read it.”

20 Tiffany March 30, 2014 at 11:14 am

I just happened to type in your web because I was SO hoping that you had decided to come back……I am so happy to see you doing so well (I was a long time reader from before.) Life sounds exciting on the Snackface front, I am looking forward to hear about what is to come and what I have missed in your journey.

21 Rose April 10, 2014 at 9:45 am

Are you still going to continue with your blog?

You said you were coming back, but you haven’t posted anything for 2 months…

Update?

22 Kali May 7, 2014 at 9:57 am

Hey Kailey!

I used to check out your blog frequently back in my college days (sorry I never said hi before, so creeper of me…). But I was just thinking to myself that I missed your funny quips and shots of delicious looking healthy food. So I thought I’d stroll on over to snack-face.com to see what you’ve been up to and I’m so glad you’re back! Congrats on your job and I hope to see more of your [snack]face soon! :)